Mozilla wants to download exe as binary file :(

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jagster

jagster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:29 AM

Hi all Been a while since i asked owt on here but here goes, When ever i want to download a .exe file most the time it wants to save as a binary { pop-up says, save as binary file}. which would be fine if i even knew want it was and knew were it saved to lol. I`ve spent endless days looking at all the options and what not to see if i need to change owt, and most forums i`ve looked on aint much use either.. I want .exe and not binary :(, any help would be great as this is now getting to the point were i`m pulling my grey hair out ,, I know i can go between IE and firefox, but i should`nt have to . Any idea chaps? Thx in advance Jaggy Shaun

#2 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:22 AM

are you using seamonkey or firefox? from the firefox browser, click on tools>options>click on the main tab at the top and select the button to "always ask me where to save files" that way you can select where you want to save your downloads. From the options box click on the Applications tab, right click on each app listed and choose "always ask" from the drop down box. restart firefox and see if you get the options for where to download and what file extension

#3 jagster

jagster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:52 PM

Thx Chaps,, Adam, In the box it says Binary, And if i still save to desktop or were ever, it aint there ,, Or it`s a case of i dont see it or even if i search the whole computer/hdd. Joe, As always been set to always ask where to save files. Though i just had to get a firwall update, i could change the drop-down from Binary to All Files and it saved as it should,,, Lets hope it keeps doing it for all the exe`s i get :) Thx

#4 brandon

brandon

O RLY?

• Advanced Member
  • 20,006 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

Firefox, as far as I know, does not automatically open files, because that is a huge security risk & such. Also, an .exe is a binary file.

#5 markcynt

markcynt

Hooked On Linux!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

Firefox will open files sometimes but only with the users permission. It may only be ZIP files that it opens though. Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users