• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 luvpats

luvpats

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:52 AM

I have just started to have trouble logging into Windows XP Home. It used to be automatic and the welcome screen appeared. Now there is no welcome screen just the splash screen and it keeps asking for the password for the Administrator. There is no password for the Administrator. I never put one in and there is none anywhere in the system. However I am able to get into Safe Mode. But nothing else. It won't boot to the desktop. It still boots, gets to the spash screen and then asks for a password for the Administrator. This won't go away. Nothing works at all. There is no password to put in. I checked all *.pwl. There are none. I even put ForceAutoLogOn in the Registry. Didn't help. I have the welcome screen checked but it never gets to that point. It used to but not now. I don't know how it got to this point. I don't know what to do. It won't boot to the desktop and I don't know what I did. As far as I know I didn't do anything. This started happening this evening. Yesterday was fine. So I boot. . .gets to the spash screen that states Windows XP and asks for a password for the Administrator. There is none. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can no longer boot to the desktop. Thank you!

#2 mel8again

mel8again

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 628 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:16 AM

I have just started to have trouble logging into Windows XP Home. It used to be automatic and the welcome screen appeared.

Now there is no welcome screen just the splash screen and it keeps asking for the password for the Administrator.

There is no password for the Administrator. I never put one in and there is none anywhere in the system.

However I am able to get into Safe Mode. But nothing else. It won't boot to the desktop.

It still boots, gets to the spash screen and then asks for a password for the Administrator. This won't go away. Nothing works at all. There is no password to put in. I checked all *.pwl. There are none.

I even put ForceAutoLogOn in the Registry. Didn't help.

I have the welcome screen checked but it never gets to that point. It used to but not now.

I don't know how it got to this point. I don't know what to do. It won't boot to the desktop and I don't know what I did.

As far as I know I didn't do anything. This started happening this evening. Yesterday was fine.

So I boot. . .gets to the spash screen that states Windows XP and asks for a password for the Administrator. There is none.

I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can no longer boot to the desktop.

Thank you!

You can get into safe mode? Have you tried system restore? Could be malware. Try some of the free scanners. You could read this article.
Intel i5 2500 @ 3.3GHz with 16 GB DDR3 ram on BioStar TZ68K
2 120 GB SATA3 SSD + 500 GB SATA HD
EVGA 550 ti super clocked video card

#3 thehulk18

thehulk18

thehulk18

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:47 AM

I know it sounds simple, but have you tried just hitting Enter when it asks for the password?
"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The United States Armed Forces don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan

"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile can respond with a great deal of pride, "I served in the United States Navy." - - John F. Kennedy

#4 luvpats

luvpats

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

I have tried everything nothing works it is stuck. Won't go any further without a password. It states there is an account restriction. I don't know what that means. I never put an account restriction on anything!

I know it sounds simple, but have you tried just hitting Enter when it asks for the password?

#5 thehulk18

thehulk18

thehulk18

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:46 AM

Try this: Go into Safe Mode Then click Start/Run/ in the run box type control userpasswords2 When the window opens, look for the box that says Users must use a password....... If it's checked, uncheck it. It will then tell you that at least one person has to have a password. Select the one you want from your user list, and leave the password blank OK..then reboot It might ask for the password again, so just hit enter. It should boot up and not ask you anymore.
"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The United States Armed Forces don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan

"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile can respond with a great deal of pride, "I served in the United States Navy." - - John F. Kennedy

#6 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:37 AM

Seems like I've heard of viruses doing that, What you can also try is to use UBCD's "off line NT password and reg editor"
http://www.ultimateb....com/index.html
here is the tutorial on how to use it
http://home.eunet.no...alkthrough.html

If you gain access you should do an online scan for anything nasty on your pc, make sure it's clean for peace of mind
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
http://www.pandasecu...tivescan/index/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users