Spybot Search & Destroy Vs Malwarebytes Vs Adaware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ReecoSuave

ReecoSuave

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:23 AM

So i decided to test Spybot, Malwarebytes free and AdAware free with firefox. I just did a fresh install of windows xp and downloaded all 3 programs 30 minutes prior to this post. I ran the programs individually using full scan instead of smart scan. After going to some sites i know have spyware cookies i decided to do a full scan with each without removing or quarentine any of the spyware they would come up with, just to see which ones would catch what. All three programs have been downloaded from http://www.download.com

I ran an updated all three programs with the latest definitions and ran a full scan with them all.

results

Spybot detected 12 problems

2x AdRevolver Tracking Cookies
3x DoubleClick Tracking Cookies
2x FastClick Tracking Cookies
1x MediaPlex Tracking Cookies
3x TradeDoubler Tracking Cookies
1x Zedo Tracking Cookie

Malwarebytes detected 0 problems

AdAware detected 14 tracking cookies
(I couldn't get the names of the cookies using AdAware free version)

It seems like good ol' AdAware and Spybot are still performing better than Malwarebytes. Maybe Firefox isn't supported?. For now i think i will stick to what works.

Edited by ReecoSuave, 26 October 2008 - 03:24 AM.

#2 Bear

Bear

Mentally Deficient, Morally Corrupt & Socially Unfit NiceGuy

• Advanced Member
  • 12,787 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:58 AM

All three are great programs, I don't think running a fresh install and going to a few places is giving Malware a fare chance, try running the program after a few days or even a few weeks. Also limiting yourself to just a couple of programs is not a great idea, as there are so many new variants coming out all the time it is impossible for one program to be updated to the minuet. Let's not forget about the specific on line removal tools as well. Bear
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
George Carlin

Coming Soon My Own Live Streaming Radio Station

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Madam Admin <aka> Maude

• Admins
  • 27,709 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:59 PM

I don't believe that MBam detects 'tracking cookies'. It is one heck of a good malware catcher, though! SuperAntispyware detects tracking cookies.

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2006 thru 2014

#4 mme

mme

HOMELAND SECURITY. Fighting Terrorism Since 1492

• Advanced Member
  • 6,799 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

Yes online scanners are really good
Kaspersky
Housecall
Panda

are just a few to name

Edited by mme, 26 October 2008 - 02:47 PM.

#5 kriket

kriket

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

:tup:

So i decided to test Spybot, Malwarebytes free and AdAware free with firefox. I just did a fresh install of windows xp and downloaded all 3 programs 30 minutes prior to this post. I ran the programs individually using full scan instead of smart scan. After going to some sites i know have spyware cookies i decided to do a full scan with each without removing or quarentine any of the spyware they would come up with, just to see which ones would catch what. All three programs have been downloaded from http://www.download.com

I ran an updated all three programs with the latest definitions and ran a full scan with them all.

results

Spybot detected 12 problems

2x AdRevolver Tracking Cookies
3x DoubleClick Tracking Cookies
2x FastClick Tracking Cookies
1x MediaPlex Tracking Cookies
3x TradeDoubler Tracking Cookies
1x Zedo Tracking Cookie

Malwarebytes detected 0 problems

AdAware detected 14 tracking cookies
(I couldn't get the names of the cookies using AdAware free version)
It seems like good ol' AdAware and Spybot are still performing better than Malwarebytes. Maybe Firefox isn't supported?. For now i think i will stick to what works.

#6 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:15 AM

Not a very accurate way to check malware IMHO, install win antivirus 2008 on your pc and then see which anti-malware program works best to remove that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users