Malware vs Adware/Spyware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trickie182

trickie182

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:24 PM

I would like to get a better understanding of malware vs Adware/spyware. I am trying to configure adequate security for a new HP laptop running Vista. If I choose Avira Free (seems to be a good choice on av-test.org), do I need additional software for adware/malware. What would be good choices? What else would you consider "absolute requirements" versus "recommend" for a new computer? Where do such things such as spybot, spyware blaster, spyware guard, winpatrol, ccleaner, eusing registry cleaner fit in? There's so many possibilities, I just want to do it right from the beginning.

#2 law9933

law9933

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:15 PM

malware=anything not good or wanted on your PC, viruses, adware, spyware. Avira would be good if you like using it SpywareBlaster is a very good malware blocker SpywareGuard is nice with it SpyBot has Teatimer & Immunize for active antispyware. CCleaner removes useless junk saved on the PC & has a registry cleaner I have a older free version of Winpatrol seems to be useful. MalwareBytes for manually scanning for malware. There are many opinions, I think the above would be a great way to start out to see if you like each one, they are free. I have it all but use AVG right now. "absolute requirements" safe surfing & not clicking anything you are not sure of.

#3 markcynt

markcynt

Hooked On Linux!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:19 AM

The programs you and law9933 listed are good.

I'll throw in Avast free antivirus, which is the easiest to use IMHO.

Also recommended is use of a hosts file. I use HostsXpert to manage mine.

Secunia Software Inspector is also a good tool since outdated software is a security threat.

Mark

#4 adam22

adam22

Open Your Mind

• Advanced Member
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:52 PM

I really dislike the Avast! UI.. Basically, Avira is your antivirus. It is reccomended to also use an antispyware or antimalware withan antivirus program..Windows Defender and Spybot with TeaTimer are the only free ones that I know of that provide realtime protection for free...there are other great ones you can use for on demand scanners. Spyware Blaster does not scan, it simply adds blocked sites to your internet browser and slightly modifies settings. Considering how easy it is to use this program and since it does not have to run in the background, it's considered a must-have by many. Spyware guard does much of the same, but runs in the background. CCleaner removes temp. files and junk..I find it to be a handy tool. As far as registry cleaning goes, I'm not a fan. I really don't think unless you have a few thousand errors that it's worth doing since you can mess things up rather easily, but I'm sure many would disagree. Some consider a 3rd party firewall like ZA necessary, but if you have a router and have the Windows one turned on, you could probably do without. Keeping Java, flash, and things of that nature also helps keep your security holes patched and running a safer brower like Firefox (with certain addons) can also make browsing the web safer.

#5 law9933

law9933

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

adam22 "Keeping Java, flash, and things of that nature also helps keep your security holes patched " I thought they could be a danger, did you leave out patched/updated helps.

#6 adam22

adam22

Open Your Mind

• Advanced Member
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:09 PM

A bit of a grammatical error as I had meant to say keep them updated..I got lost in the wording. Thanks for pointing that out.

#7 humpd

humpd

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

What about a script blocker like NoScript?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users