PC reboots by itself every night....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Spyderrc10gt2

Spyderrc10gt2

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:50 AM

Every morning when i wake up my pc is sitting at the password screen. I'm not sure if its restarting by itself everynight or if Vista has some setting to require you to enter a password when the pc sits idle for awhile. Anyone have any ideas?? If you need any more info just let me know Forgot to add that i scanned with Mcafee, Spybot and SuperAntispyware and they all came back clean so i know its not spyware/virus

Edited by Spyderrc10gt2, 23 August 2008 - 06:26 AM.

#2 luluhifi

luluhifi

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:06 AM

Every morning when i wake up my pc is sitting at the password screen. I'm not sure if its restarting by itself everynight or if Vista has some setting to require you to enter a password when the pc sits idle for awhile. Anyone have any ideas?? If you need any more info just let me know
Forgot to add that i scanned with Mcafee, Spybot and SuperAntispyware and they all came back clean so i know its not spyware/virus

Check and see if the system is set to Standby mode when idle :cr@sh:

Edited by luluhifi, 23 August 2008 - 09:06 AM.

#3 Spyderrc10gt2

Spyderrc10gt2

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:58 AM

Check and see if the system is set to Standby mode when idle :cr@sh:

nope, not set to go into standby

#4 markcynt

markcynt

Hooked On Linux!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:04 AM

Try going into Power Options, click "Change plan settings" under your power plan, then change "Put the computer to sleep" to never. Or Try going into Power Options, on the left click "Require a password on wakeup", then "Change settings that are currently unavailable", then check "Don't require a password". Mark

#5 Spyderrc10gt2

Spyderrc10gt2

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

Try going into Power Options, click "Change plan settings" under your power plan, then change "Put the computer to sleep" to never.

Or

Try going into Power Options, on the left click "Require a password on wakeup", then "Change settings that are currently unavailable", then check "Don't require a password".

Mark

ok it was already set on 'Never put the computer to sleep' but i did change the password to 'Don't require a password". i'll have to wait til tomorrow morning to see if it worked :snooze:

#6 Spyderrc10gt2

Spyderrc10gt2

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:03 AM

Still doing it, woke up this morning and sure enough it was sitting on the password screen...... :cr@sh: It has to be restarting overnight, if i leave like a antispyware/virus program to run overnight, the next morning its not running anymore and it doesn;t show the results.

#7 flewpastu

flewpastu

Waiting for Lotto

• Advanced Member
  • 8,129 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:14 AM

this is gonna sound weird but try running something like a defrag utility at night and in the morning to see if it has a completed/finished screen it may have nothing to do with defragging but at least it will prove if the PC is rebooting or not in other words if it shows the finished screen it didnt reboot if there's no finished screen it probably rebooted you can run something else defrag was just an example

#8 flewpastu

flewpastu

Waiting for Lotto

• Advanced Member
  • 8,129 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

Sounds like it's in Sleep Mode
You sure you're not accidentally clicking Sleep instead of Shut Down?
The Sleep option is directly above Shut Down.

I know I've done it once, just once.

yeah forgot about that ... so why did they make it look just like a power button
although you can go into power setting options and change it to actually shut down the PC instead of sleep

#9 dlindop

dlindop

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:41 AM

I had a similar problem, a long while ago so can't remember all the details, it turned out to be a setting in the BIOS which let the computer start automatically when the modem recieved traffic during ther night, I think it was under the wakeup settings.

#10 Spyderrc10gt2

Spyderrc10gt2

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:31 PM

this is gonna sound weird
but try running something like a defrag utility at night and in the morning to see if it has a completed/finished screen it may have nothing to do with defragging but at least it will prove if the PC is rebooting or not

in other words if it shows the finished screen it didnt reboot if there's no finished screen it probably rebooted
you can run something else defrag was just an example

I tried running mcafee and spybot overnight and the next moring when i put my password in the pull up windows, they both were not running, so i know the pc is restarting

Sounds like it's in Sleep Mode
You sure you're not accidentally clicking Sleep instead of Shut Down?
The Sleep option is directly above Shut Down.

I know I've done it once, just once.

i only turn my pc off once a month or so. when i'm done using it for the night i just walk off, so i know i'm not hitting the sleep button

I had a similar problem, a long while ago so can't remember all the details, it turned out to be a setting in the BIOS which let the computer start automatically when the modem recieved traffic during ther night, I think it was under the wakeup settings.

theres 4 settings in there i'm not sure what they do or if they even matter in this case
-Wake on LAN from S5
-ACPI Suspend State
-EIST
-Wake system from S5

Edited by Spyderrc10gt2, 25 August 2008 - 09:47 PM.

#11 BlackWiddow

BlackWiddow

Fear the Bite!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:27 AM

do you have any kind of issue with this durin the day? maybe an update for a program ( or windows) set to run, and then auto restart?

#12 Spyderrc10gt2

Spyderrc10gt2

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

do you have any kind of issue with this durin the day? maybe an update for a program ( or windows) set to run, and then auto restart?

no, it runs all day just fine. i've been on it til around 1am and it never restarted. so its sometime between 1am and 5am

Don't know your system spec's and I could be mistaken, but by default, those 4 in the BIOS should be disabled.
Did you check each one to see if it was/is disabled?

In your Power Options, are your dropdowns for when computer sleeps and when to turn off display set to never? Should be total of 4 boxes set to never.
It's also possible like BlackWiddow said, you might have a program that's updating late at night and it's set to AutoRestart when finished. If it's an auto defrag set to autorestart, you won't get any results, it will just close and restart the system

Wake on LAN from S5 - Stay Off
ACPI Suspend State - S3 State
EIST - Enable
Wake System from S5 - Disable

those are the setting in the bios. i've had the pc almost a year and this didn't start happening til a couple months ago. i've never touched those settings so i dont see how they would have got changed. i checked the defrag utility and that is set to run every wednesday, the pc is restarting every night so i dont think its that. i have the 'high performance' power plan selected and theres only 2 pull down boxs. one is 'Turn off the display' which i have set to 60 min, and the other 'put the computer to sleep' which i have set to never. is there a way to find out if a program is set to restart the pc?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users