Copying, pasting different parts of a document

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 moonwolf

moonwolf

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:10 AM

I seem to recall a way in which I could copy various parts of a document at the same time and be able to paste them all into another document with one click. I've tried holding the control button, then highlighting various paragraphs, but as soon as I try to highlight a different paragraph, the first one "un" highlights, so I can't seem to copy everything I want to at once. What am I doing wrong?

#2 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:10 AM

You are doing it the right way, only thing I can think of is you need to press and hold the ctrl key, then highlight your first block of text, remember to keep the ctrl key held down until you are ready to cut or copy. Not highlight the text and then press control.

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#3 moonwolf

moonwolf

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:53 AM

I've tried holding control key, highlighting text, right click, choose copy. Still holding control, I do the same thing with another body of text. When I try to paste into a new document, only the second block of text will paste. I've tried holding control, highlighting, copying, releasing control, holding control again, highlighting second block of text, copying, release control and same thing will happen. Only last block of text copied will paste in the new document. Also tried holding control, highlighting, releasing control, copying. Again that way with second block of text, and same results as above. Can someone see what the hell I'm doing wrong here?

#4 law9933

law9933

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:10 AM

I don't know & am not a PC pro. I copy & paste all of what I want to notepad, then copy & paste that to whatever.

#5 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:11 AM

I've tried holding control key, highlighting text, right click, choose copy. Still holding control, I do the same thing with another body of text. When I try to paste into a new document, only the second block of text will paste.

If you do it this way, yep only the second block of text will copy as you are overwritting the first block.

I've tried holding control, highlighting, copying, releasing control, holding control again, highlighting second block of text, copying, release control and same thing will happen. Only last block of text copied will paste in the new document.

Again, you've re;eased ctrl, so only the last block will copy.

Also tried holding control, highlighting, releasing control, copying. Again that way with second block of text, and same results as above. Can someone see what the hell I'm doing wrong here?

You, have to do it like this,

Press and hold ctrl (do not let it go)
Highlight the first block of text
Highlight the second block of text
Hightlight any more text you need to.

Let go of the ctrl key- the selected text will be highlighted.
Either right click and select copy, or press ctrl c

Open a new document, do not close word, right click and paste, or ctrl v.

The CTRL key does work this way, I train MS office and am a MS certified trainer, I don't know everything, but this is part of the basic word sylabus, keep trying it will work :tup:

#6 moonwolf

moonwolf

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

I don't know nigsy, I tried doing it that way, exactly as you described and it only pasted the last block of text that I highlighted. The same thing as moonwolf said, as soon as the 2nd is highlighted, the 1st "un" highlights.
So, why doesn't it work that way?

The same also. As soon as you try to highlight the second block of text, the first block that was highlighted "un"highlights. I'm trying to do this from a document I created using Microsoft Works Word Processor. Maybe it won't work with this program? Anybody else have any suggestions?

#7 thehulk18

thehulk18

thehulk18

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:10 AM

There is a way to do it using the Clipboard but I can't remember the steps... :geezer: When you copy a page it goes to the Clipboard by default, and you can select text from there.....I think.
"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The United States Armed Forces don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan

"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile can respond with a great deal of pride, "I served in the United States Navy." - - John F. Kennedy

#8 mel8again

mel8again

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

You, have to do it like this,

Press and hold ctrl (do not let it go)
Highlight the first block of text
Highlight the second block of text
Hightlight any more text you need to.

Let go of the ctrl key- the selected text will be highlighted.
Either right click and select copy, or press ctrl c

Open a new document, do not close word, right click and paste, or ctrl v.

The CTRL key does work this way, I train MS office and am a MS certified trainer, I don't know everything, but this is part of the basic word sylabus, keep trying it will work :tup:

Didn't work for me either.
Intel i5 2500 @ 3.3GHz with 16 GB DDR3 ram on BioStar TZ68K
2 120 GB SATA3 SSD + 500 GB SATA HD
EVGA 550 ti super clocked video card

#9 moonwolf

moonwolf

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:30 AM

OK. From this thread we've established that there is a way in which to do this. Obviously people have heard it could be done, some have actually have done it but can't remember how, and to me I find that there should be a way it must be done because it sure is a time saver when trying to pull info off a document or website page when you only need certain bits of info copied. In this day and age, computers are set up with all sorts of short cuts to help save time and streamline one's work. This has to be one of them. So hopefully someone who visits the PC Pitstop forum will see this thread and know exactly how to accomplish this task and help us journeyman out.

#10 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:33 AM

My way does work, but if you want to utilise the clipboard function try this:

multiple copy and paste

If this doesn't do it I don't know what will :pullhair:

#11 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:38 AM

If you are using 2007 try this:

Word 2007 help

:tup:

#12 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:01 AM

The same also. As soon as you try to highlight the second block of text, the first block that was highlighted "un"highlights. I'm trying to do this from a document I created using Microsoft Works Word Processor. Maybe it won't work with this program? Anybody else have any suggestions?

Just noted you are using MS Works processor. :rollie:

This is a stripped down version of office, and I don't think you have a clipboard function, so it's either individual copy & Paste, or as someone else suggested, paste what you need into notepad and then copy the whole lot in one go.

All is not lost though, try this:Open Office

Handles what you are trying to do. And providing your original is in .doc format you should be ok.

#13 moonwolf

moonwolf

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:06 AM

Thanks for the help, nigsy. What I found that I could do was take the document I'd created in MS Works processor (had the .wps extension) and chose "save as" then changed the file extension to .doc and saved to the desktop. When I clicked on it, it opened up in MS Word 2003 (that's the version I have). From there I could use the multiple copy feature and when I was done "collecting" all the parts I wanted, I opened a new blank page, clicked on the clipboard icon that was created when I copied more then one paragraph from the original, and was able to paste all the parts onto that new page. I'll be using Word from now on if I need to create anymore documents. Didn't know about this without your help. Thanks again. I can also use Word if I want to print out certain parts of a web page. Say for instance I'm viewing a "walk through" of a certain PlayStation game, which I've done from time to time when I get stuck and need help. Instead of printing out the whole walk through (some games have many pages) I can have a blank Word page open and bounce back and forth copying and pasting the parts I want and when I'm done, print out the Word page. I wish Internet Explorer had a copy feature like Word, the I could copy multiple parts right from the web page and then print. A little extra work involved having to bounce back and forth, but at least I get what I need. Microsoft, are you listening?

#14 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:39 AM

It took a while, but glad you got it sorted :mrgreen:

#15 thehulk18

thehulk18

thehulk18

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:47 AM

I seem to remember that you could size both document windows to fit the screen at the same time, so one wouldn't close when you clicked on the other, and then either copy and paste, or highlight and drag to the other document. Or something like that..... :geezer:
"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The United States Armed Forces don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan

"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile can respond with a great deal of pride, "I served in the United States Navy." - - John F. Kennedy

#16 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:11 AM

I seem to remember that you could size both document windows to fit the screen at the same time, so one wouldn't close when you clicked on the other, and then either copy and paste, or highlight and drag to the other document. Or something like that..... :geezer:

If you have 2 word documents open and you want to copy/cut & past between them, just go to the tool bar:

View: documents side by side.

Allows you 2 see both documents. :geezer:

#17 thehulk18

thehulk18

thehulk18

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

True dat!!

#18 moonwolf

moonwolf

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:01 AM

I just realized I can do this by right clicking on the task bar. If I have a web page open that I want to copy certain items, I open a blank Word page. Then right click on the task bar, choose "cascade windows", then choose "tile windows vertically". Now both the web page and my blank Word page are shown side by side. I can then copy from one and paste to the other without either one being hidden by the other. When I'm done collecting info, I can print out the Word page. Now we're getting somewhere.

#19 thehulk18

thehulk18

thehulk18

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:30 AM

We're brainstorming the heck out of this one.... :clap:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users