how to remove fragmented files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 badpete

badpete

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:38 AM

Hi can anybody tell me how to remove the fragmented files i cant even defrag now as it says there is not enough space when i know there should be plenty of space .Any suggestions ? Thanks Pete

#2 brandon

brandon

O RLY?

• Advanced Member
  • 20,006 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:47 AM

Depending on the version of Windows you use, you need at least 15% free space on the hard drive to do a defrag. So, your best bet is to get rid of stuff ya don't need.

Edited by brandon, 16 February 2008 - 05:48 AM.

#3 badpete

badpete

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:59 AM

Hi thanks for the reply i have got rid of the stuff im not useing just wanted to know if there was a way to remove the red fragmented files .

#4 mouse

mouse

Advanced Member

• The SWAT Team
  • 9,331 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:57 AM

If you could remove the fragmented files you would be removing bits and pieces of programs you want to use including your operating system. What you need to do is uninstall or delete enough unused programs to be able to defrag the drive windows usually likes 20% free space. There are other defrag programs that you can use that are better than windows defrag for example Auslogics. Run disk cleanup before trying to defrag, clear history in your broswer, use the delete files button in your browser then try to do defrag.

#5 prana

prana

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:24 AM

Hi can anybody tell me how to remove the fragmented files i cant even defrag now as it says there is not enough space when i know there should be plenty of space .Any suggestions ?
Thanks Pete

Run a diskcleanup or download CCleaner, deleting temp files, older restore points etc which might be bloating the free space will help. You can also burn larger files like movies, pics music etc on to anexternal drive or DVDs as well. When files are stored on your HDD, they are sometimes broken into fragments and scattered. These appear as the red lines on the fragmentation graph. Sometimes when the drive is full and fragmented, you find the PC slowing down, lagging on operations etc. If you run the defragmenter, it should help change the red lines back to Blue (unfragmented or contiguous). You could also download a third party tool if none else works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users