Can't send email from Outlook 2007

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Chula

Chula

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:19 PM

I've got a weird problem. First of all, I'm running Vista Home Premium on a Dell desktop, 2GB RAM, AMD dual core processor. The problem apparently started today. I'm using Office 2007, and Outlook for my email. My mail server is a Yahoo POP3 account. I receive mail fine, but when I send mail it looks like everything is fine, the mail shows up in Sent Mail, the Outbox is emptied, yet the recipient doesn't receive it. If I send mail using the same email ID from my browser it goes through fine. So I thought the problem has to be with Outlook. I went into Repair Office. It completed fine, but I still can't send through my SMTP server from Outlook. I also set up a Hotmail account in Outlook and the same thing happens. I can receive mail, but not send mail. On both the Yahoo and the Hotmail accounts, I've tried deleting and re-adding the accounts. As part of that process a test email is sent to validate the settings. The test email looks like it was sent, but it is not received. Any suggestions on what the problem might be? I'm not sure what to do next.

#2 mme

mme

HOMELAND SECURITY. Fighting Terrorism Since 1492

• Advanced Member
  • 6,795 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:14 AM

a couple microsoft updates choose yours..32 or 64
heres a microsoft update for outlook the first one is for 32 bit

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

you will be able to delete messages that are stuck in out box
it will permanently delete them so you will have to resend your mail

heres microsoft fix for 64 bit

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

you will be able to delete messages that are stuck in out box
it will permanently delete them so you will have to resend your mail

Edited by mme, 15 February 2008 - 01:16 AM.

#3 Chula

Chula

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:53 PM

That's not my problem. The items are not stuck in the Outbox. When I hit send, it actually does the send, emptying the Outbox, and the mail appears in Sent Mail. But the mail is never received on the other end. I think the problem is with the Yahoo SMTP server, but how do I prove that? Or am I missing something and the problem really is in Outlook? Thanks.

#4 smah

smah

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:54 AM

I'd be inclined to point the finger at Yahoo. Just because the web interface delivers mail properly, doesn't mean that a client connection will. You are using a paid Yahoo account, right? What happens if you send a message to yourself?

#5 mme

mme

• Advanced Member
  • 6,795 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

did you ever consider switching mail accounts to see if yahoo mail smtp is the cause of the problem if it is then contact yahoo for help to inform them of the problem

#6 Chula

Chula

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:20 PM

Turns out it was a problem with Yahoo's SMTP server. It took them a while to admit it, but they finally did. Thanks for the help anyway.

#7 mme

mme

• Advanced Member
  • 6,795 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:51 PM

glad things are ok thanks for letting us know

#8 bruceweaver

bruceweaver

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

Wait!!! Can I jump in this thread? My Dell desktop with Vista and Office 2008 cannot send or receive email using my Yahoo.com address, even though I've entered the incoming and outgoing info and password correctly. I tried to download the above 64 bit site, but after completing the download, it told me that this download did not apply to my computer. Have I missed something? Here's one more possibly valid point: On my account settings for the Yahoo account, I've changed the incoming and outgoing numbers correctly. However, I see that under the Account Type, I think I need to change this to "POP3". But it's greyed out with "IMAP" in there and I cannot change it. Is this where the problem lies? Thanks a mil!

Edited by bruceweaver, 17 March 2008 - 07:29 PM.

#9 COMPUTER CRASHER

COMPUTER CRASHER

Adobe CS3 Master Collection and Office 2007

• Advanced Member
  • 4,282 posts
  • Location:The Home of SUMMERFEST: The Best Music Festival in the World.

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

Since 2002 Yahoo has decided that they will not allow anyone to use Outlook for yahoo mail unless you sign up for a paid email account. BUT!!! Source Forge has created a program that you can install and run which will then allow you to configure yahoo mail free accounts in Outlook Pro or Express. Source Forge is group that creates a lot of Open source software and programming tools so most if not all of their software is freeware and will not expire after 3 days and ask for $$$. I'll post a link here with full detailed instructions and a link to DL the program. Yahoo email in outlook

Ive installed it for many people and it usually works great so long as you follow the instructions.

#10 kingleigh

kingleigh

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:31 AM

or u could just get a yahoo.co.uk account u dont have to pay to pop them, weird but hey

Edited by kingleigh, 28 March 2008 - 12:31 AM.

#11 fulcan

fulcan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:21 AM

I am having the problem that bruceweaver mentioned and visited the microsoft website. The difference is I have the problem with Outlook 2007 rather than windows mail. Has anyone been able to solve this problem with Outlook 2007. I have searched far and wide on the web and came across numbers of others with the same problem with Outlook 2007, but no solution. Hoping that someone reads this that does have a solution.

#12 ktvanhorne

ktvanhorne

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:06 AM

I am running outlook 2007 on 2 different computers - my desktop running Vista Ultimate SP1 and my laptop running XP SP3. Just before I went on the road last week I backed up and transfered all my Outlook .pst files to my laptop and restored them (using ABF's Outlook backup). Everything tranfered correctly, but my laptop will not send. It recieves fine - on all 4 accounts (hotmail, 2 gmail, and my business IP) - but will not send on any of them. When I write a message, it goes into the outbox, outlook says the send/receive has completed, but the message just sits there. There is no error messages or anything. I have deleted my hotmail and gmail accounts and reentered them - no change. When I test the account settings in outlook, I get green checks on both connect and send test message. My POP3 gmail account does not actually receive the test message, but my IMAP gmail account does! I am completely stumped. Outlook will send an automated email message, but not one that I type through the same account with the same settings! Help!

#13 cutloop

cutloop

To be the man, you have to beat the man

• Advanced Member
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:09 PM

In outlook click tools, accounts. Highlight your account and click properties. Under general tab make sure there is a check in include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing click apply..Now click servers tab, under Outgoig mail server place a check in my server requires authentication click apply and click settings beside it. place a check in use same settings as my incoming mail server click ok....

#14 ktvanhorne

ktvanhorne

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:58 PM

In outlook click tools, accounts. Highlight your account and click properties. Under general tab make sure there is a check in include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing click apply..Now click servers tab, under Outgoig mail server place a check in my server requires authentication click apply and click settings beside it. place a check in use same settings as my incoming mail server click ok....

Cutloop,
I am looking at my Outlook 2007 - and under "more settings/general" tab I do not see a check box to include this account when sending and receiving or synchronizing. In send and receive settings all of my accounts are included in send and in receive.

The check box by "my server requires authentication" is checked and they are all using the same settings as the incoming mail server.

Thanks for the response, though, but I need some other ideas.

#15 Andrew S.

Andrew S.

Colonial Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:34 PM

Have you tried changing the outgoing server port number?

#16 twhint

twhint

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:19 AM

Since 2002 Yahoo has decided that they will not allow anyone to use Outlook for yahoo mail unless you sign up for a paid email account. BUT!!! Source Forge has created a program that you can install and run which will then allow you to configure yahoo mail free accounts in Outlook Pro or Express. Source Forge is group that creates a lot of Open source software and programming tools so most if not all of their software is freeware and will not expire after 3 days and ask for $$$. I'll post a link here with full detailed instructions and a link to DL the program. Yahoo email in outlook

Ive installed it for many people and it usually works great so long as you follow the instructions.

There is also a little program called Ypops, which emulates the Yahoo pop server and runs in the background.

You can also switch to Thunderbird and download a couple of extensions for yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc.

Microsoft was going to discontinue Hotmail support for Outlook in anticipation of their Live mail client on June 30th, but after some grumbling from pretty much everyone, they've back off that idea. As of right now, it is up in the air as to what they're going to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users