Comcast Download Speed Levels

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 tsteele999

tsteele999

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:41 PM

I am a subscriber to Comcast Broadband internet service. Recently they switched their service to a tiered plan: 750kbs for $28 (I think- they don't offer it to existing customers w/ cable TV), 6Mbps @ $43, 8Mbps@ $53. When they only had one level, I figured you get what you get, but now I want to verify that I am getting the 6Mbps that I'm paying for. The download speed test from PC Pitstop usually fluctuate from 750kbps to over 2Mbps. I understand that this is the speed from this specific site and also includes time trhough my router/wireless network etc. Today I called customer service and the only answer I can get is that, yes indeed, I am paying for 6Mbps. When I asked how I can verify this speed, I was told that I just have to take their word for it. This is the disclaimer from their website: Comcast speed tiers range from 4.0 to 16.0 Mbps download speed (maximum upload speed from 384Kbps to 768Kbps respectively). The speed tier received and pricing will vary depending upon the speed tier selected and the level of Comcast video service and/or digital telephone service (if any) received. Speed comparisons are for downloads only and are compared to (as applicable, to 56K dial-up, 768Kbps, 1.5Mbps or 3.0Mbps DSL). Actual speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Many factors affect speed. -So, they are charging for tier levels, but can't guarantee you will get them and there is no way to verify. Nice.

#2 rgsmile

rgsmile

rgsmile

• Advanced Member
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:41 PM

I am a subscriber to Comcast Broadband internet service. Recently they switched their service to a tiered plan: 750kbs for $28 (I think- they don't offer it to existing customers w/ cable TV), 6Mbps @ $43, 8Mbps@ $53.

When they only had one level, I figured you get what you get, but now I want to verify that I am getting the 6Mbps that I'm paying for.

The download speed test from PC Pitstop usually fluctuate from 750kbps to over 2Mbps. I understand that this is the speed from this specific site and also includes time trhough my router/wireless network etc.

Today I called customer service and the only answer I can get is that, yes indeed, I am paying for 6Mbps. When I asked how I can verify this speed, I was told that I just have to take their word for it.

This is the disclaimer from their website:

Comcast speed tiers range from 4.0 to 16.0 Mbps download speed (maximum upload speed from 384Kbps to 768Kbps respectively). The speed tier received and pricing will vary depending upon the speed tier selected and the level of Comcast video service and/or digital telephone service (if any) received. Speed comparisons are for downloads only and are compared to (as applicable, to 56K dial-up, 768Kbps, 1.5Mbps or 3.0Mbps DSL). Actual speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Many factors affect speed.
-So, they are charging for tier levels, but can't guarantee you will get them and there is no way to verify. Nice.

Try here, lots of tests for various functions:

http://www.auditmypc...-speed-test.asp

#3 Zeus95

Zeus95

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:29 PM

I am having the same problem as you are i am paying for 10 meg cable from newwavecomm.net and im only getting 4 meg tops and most of the time 1 meg connections they have been working on mine for 7 months now so i stopped paying for mine 2 months ago and refuse to pay again till its fixed and im payed back for all the money i spent on the 10 meg .... in reality the problem is they have to many people on your node but they will not tell you that instead they will just keep saying i see nothing wrong with it because they dont want to add extra lines if no one but you is smart enough to figure out they are cheating you out of your money ... so as it is im about to take them to court and demand my money back for the 10 meg i payed for or im going to have my internet and cable tv free till they fix it... not sure whats going to happen with this deal yet but you can bet they are selling you something they cant give you ... and you will have to prove that when the time comes so i sugest you start doing multi speed test and saving the log's from them so you can have proof.... i use my isp page to test it and www.speedtest.net

I am a subscriber to Comcast Broadband internet service. Recently they switched their service to a tiered plan: 750kbs for $28 (I think- they don't offer it to existing customers w/ cable TV), 6Mbps @ $43, 8Mbps@ $53.

When they only had one level, I figured you get what you get, but now I want to verify that I am getting the 6Mbps that I'm paying for.

The download speed test from PC Pitstop usually fluctuate from 750kbps to over 2Mbps. I understand that this is the speed from this specific site and also includes time trhough my router/wireless network etc.

Today I called customer service and the only answer I can get is that, yes indeed, I am paying for 6Mbps. When I asked how I can verify this speed, I was told that I just have to take their word for it.

Comcast speed tiers range from 4.0 to 16.0 Mbps download speed (maximum upload speed from 384Kbps to 768Kbps respectively). The speed tier received and pricing will vary depending upon the speed tier selected and the level of Comcast video service and/or digital telephone service (if any) received. Speed comparisons are for downloads only and are compared to (as applicable, to 56K dial-up, 768Kbps, 1.5Mbps or 3.0Mbps DSL). Actual speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Many factors affect speed.
-So, they are charging for tier levels, but can't guarantee you will get them and there is no way to verify. Nice.

#4 badbinary

badbinary

the dude abides

• The SWAT Team
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

http://www.speedtest.net

pick the server nearest you.

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"

#5 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:50 AM

notice why dsl is so much more expensive and slower, the line is dedicated, pending on the distance between you and the office determines weither or not you get the max data rate from them, you are paying for reliability. using comcast you are sharing bandwidth with millions in your state, if you read there policy it says they can throttle someones bandwidth to balance the need for bandwidth among others on there network, depending on the time of the day this changes, at 5pm you could be dragging along but at 3am flying at t1 speeds! dsl would be expensive at that data rate though they do offer 6mbits in my state for less then 50$ with very nice upload speed, if you live too far from there office the lower the data rate can be, thats the only down side about dsl, however the rate in speed will not fluctuate, see whats better for you.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth !!
Join the next generation of computing, Open Source, and Linux/GNU!
"nvidia license taints kernel"

#6 badbinary

badbinary

the dude abides

• The SWAT Team
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

you don't share with everyone in the state, just everyone on your node, which is a fairly small area. also, t1 speed is 1500/1500, which to me, is not exactly flying.

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"

#7 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

bb my examples may suck but it does not change the fact that its a shared network and when those sharing decide to sleep your flying :lol:
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth !!
Join the next generation of computing, Open Source, and Linux/GNU!
"nvidia license taints kernel"

#8 Zeus95

Zeus95

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:05 AM

Well My Internet finally fixed my connection ... if you complain long enough and e=mail the right people and fight them to the end they have to fix it or you will not have to pay for it now look at my 10 meg connection
Posted Image

#9 AzComputerNerd

AzComputerNerd

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:28 AM

Unfortunately, I have to say that I believe this is probably not going to change. My father currently has comcast at his house in Tucson, AZ and has had it for quite some time, ever since I've lived there. Living in Phoenix now, I have the joy of being able to pay for and experience 28Mbs for about the same price that my dad pays for 6mbs down in tucson. The sad thing about Speedtest.net, especially with reference to comcast, is that comcast offers their 'speedboost', which does give significantly better dl rates for the first few seconds of downloading, and so when you test through Speedtest, they're only checking the first few seconds anyway, they aren't testing what you get over an extended period of time. For instance, I can easily go on to speedtest in tucson, with a connection from comcast, and see a result that says I'm downloading at 20megabits per second, so one would then expect that I could download files at least close to 2 megabytes per second, however that's not even close to the case, as download speeds are still maxed out around 750 kilobytes per second. Even though we were told we were paying for 12mbs, we very rarely ever even experienced the full 6mbs that we really were paying for, and unfortunately, as someone else posted, with comcast being the only provider of High speed internet in rural tucson, there really isn't anything to do. As mentioned, 28mbs for around 60 dollars is quite nice, especially downloading large files, which I do quite often, I only wish that comcast would offer the same service. They are rated worst in customer service of any industry by the Better Business Bureau I believe, and rightfully so. I'm a software engineer, and talking to their 'customer service reps' I'm constantly degraded and talked down to, even though I refer to parts using technical terms rather than the "silver thingy" "power cord". I do appologize for any incorrect grammar, when I write HTML, it's tough dealing with the little squigly lines under mispelled words, so I just turn it off.

Edited by AzComputerNerd, 14 January 2010 - 04:30 AM.

#10 mike6875

mike6875

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:58 PM

Dam coNcast throtteled me down from 14.6 to 6.2 Is there anything I can do? Thanks guys.

#11 mike6875

mike6875

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:50 AM

Hey guys,If you yell and scream load enough somebody listens, got all my bandwith back..http://www.speedtest.net/result/684425025.png

Edited by mike6875, 16 January 2010 - 09:23 AM.

#12 adam22

adam22

Open Your Mind

• Advanced Member
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:44 AM

I don't know what tier we have, I thought it was 20. However, if I'm hard-wired to the router I have achieved a steady download of ten minutes at 2.6 mb/s. Wireless I can't make it past 2.0 but usually stay at the 1.1 mb/s range. It varies a lot though.

Here is a wireless test. I upload faster than a lot of people download xD

Posted Image

Edited by adam22, 16 January 2010 - 09:47 AM.

#13 bfvmg

bfvmg

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 598 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:19 AM

Really. the problerm is that the advertised speeds usually can only be acheived in the Lab. LIke they say, many things affect speed. With Cable internet, the amount of people on your Node, logged in and surfing will severely affect your speed. With DSL, the distance from the ADN affects your speed. I have qwest 20Mb DSL, and I am usually getting a consistant 17Mb+ DL. Wireless is significantly less, but I am traveling thru a house with LOTS of interference in th 2.4ghz band, and all that WILL affect speed. IMHO, if you are reguarly getting less then 75% of your advertised DL, I would complain, other wise I would say that you are doing very well.
The truth is true, and is not changed by disbelief or wishful thinking
The voices in my head aren't real - But they do have some good ideas!
If the truth hurts, then change the facts

#14 wdeydwondrer

wdeydwondrer

who dat gonna beat dem saints

• Advanced Member
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

good luck getting much down if you are getting 75% speed, lol. anyways, what'll usually effect cable and/or dsl speeds (and yes, dsl is shared bandwidth at the CO. the only dedicated/non shared portion is the line to your house. your pipe tot he internet is shared with everyone else connected to the same dslam) is the available shared bandwidth vs total consumer. people using the shared resource doesn't always mean a slow down. while i lived in ohio, i had TW 15meg service which provided 14megs+ 24/7 unless an outage occured. the bandwidth was available and the loop wasn't overloaded. now since i've moved, there are roughly 600 subscribers on a 4meg connection to the cable office sharing one 12 meg connection to the backbone (this has been upgraded FINALLY this month). but 600 users divided by 12 megs = everyone slows down to dialup during peak usage. bottom line, there's a LOT more than just number of people signed on that will slow bandwidth. i will give it to you that distance is crucial on dsl, but that's more synch speed, line noise and other issues also effect the speed on dsl. i have also, just fyi, called into different companies local offices to complain of low speeds. the usual answer is that the packaged speed you are sold is a MAXIMUM download/upload speed. a few of them went far enough to inform me that i should read my contract on their website where i would find that speeds are not guaranteed above (around, different between companies) about 3 megs down. some only guaranteed 1.5megs, and a couple had no service guarantee. to this length, i do credit centrylink in my area for offering a package at 3megs guaranteed, and then 3-10megs with higher than 3 megs guaranteed for only +10 bux. right up front you are looking at the fact that faster speeds can not be guaranteed.

#15 wdeydwondrer

wdeydwondrer

• Advanced Member
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

looks pretty decent adam, lol, compared to mine especially! this is as good as it gets for me

Posted Image

to the OP>>> the speed tiers are the max speed you are paying for. instead of possibly getting 8 megs for the same price as someone that only wanted 3 megs, you now need to pay a premium to get access to a higher speed.

and duanster, refer to my previous post about dsl. dsl is indeed a shared connection in the fact that once you take one hope back to the dslam, you are sharing the available bandwidth to that unit. next hop, you're sharing most likely with everyone in town as it's funneled out the CO to a backbone. the only difference is that your first hop is dedicated (cable is shared with 5001500 people per node, your first hop). using EITHER service, you are still limited to the amount of people on your loop vs the bandwidth available to your loop.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/129

right at the top, lol

#16 bfvmg

bfvmg

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 598 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

anyways, what'll usually effect cable and/or dsl speeds (and yes, dsl is shared bandwidth at the CO. the only dedicated/non shared portion is the line to your house. your pipe tot he internet is shared with everyone else connected to the same dslam) is the available shared bandwidth vs total consumer.

Roger, thats all shared. But the amount of bandwidth is huge from the DSLAM on. Lastly, I have been putting in lots of fiber, DS3, OC3, and even an OC12. That much bandwidth can reliable provide 20Mb steady for a LOT of customers....

#17 wdeydwondrer

wdeydwondrer

• Advanced Member
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

ya, ok, come down here and tell me that there's a HUGE amount of bandwidth at the dslam, LOL. in more populated areas, or higher competition, i'm sure there's far more bandwidth available, but that doesn't make it so for everywhere. btw, where do you work? thoose aren't your every day installs for the common folk, lol

#18 bfvmg

bfvmg

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 598 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:31 PM

btw, where do you work? thoose aren't your every day installs for the common folk, lol

I am an IT project manager for the Army Recreation Machine Program. We set up and provide "unofficial" Internet and ammusement services at bases all over the US.

I just set up an OC3 line going into FT Lee, VA. Thats going to be our backbone for the entire base, and serve Soldiers there. We are putting in (I think) an OC12 line at FT Carson. Thats going to cover a HUGE amount of Soldiers and services with unofficial Internet access. We also set up wireless coverage for barracks, rec centers, and other areas as requested.

Its fun, challenging, and I get to play with all kinds of new and legacy toys.

#19 wdeydwondrer

wdeydwondrer

• Advanced Member
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

what is an unofficial connection, lol. thoose lines aren't cheap. sounds like a fun job though. my brother is the head guy in his com division in ohio. (don't have any idea about the actual terms, LOL) he's sent some pics of sat dishes they play with and some of the networking hardware and server computers that come in plastic cargo boxes you just plug in. lotta cool stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users