Photo

High Disk and CPU Usage for 10 Minutes After Boot?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LordMordred

LordMordred

the go to guy...

• Advanced Member
  • 426 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

in Vista there is a new service called superfetch which analyzes program you use most often and remembers code to make it work faster next time. In all reality it doesnt improve performance much if at all. When this service is running it can cause constant (and annoying) disk and cpu usage for the first 10 minutes or so of vista loading. if you disable this service, it stops all this access from occurring. I have disabled it on my dell xps m1730 which runs vista business, and my system still boots just as quick, but without all the disk and cpu usage afterwards. here is how to disable the service: 1) in the start menu search box type (without quotation marks) "services.msc" and hit enter 2) scroll down the list that appeared until you see a service named "Superfetch" 3) Double Click on the Superfetch Service and a dialog box will appear, in the 'Startup type' drop-down list in the centre of the dialog box, change from automatic to disabled. 4) click OK 5) right click on the Superfetch Service and left click stop. 6) click cross in the top right corner you are all done, next time you boot windows, superfetch will not start and you should have very minimal disk and cpu usage as it should be! LM

#2 bg1256

bg1256

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:39 AM

For the record, I've found Superfetch to be a nice addition, and it does not cause any spikes in my CPU or disk usage running Home Premium.

#3 mel8again

mel8again

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 628 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:46 AM

So that's why the disk runs so long! I turned it off. Good tip. :clap:
Intel i5 2500 @ 3.3GHz with 16 GB DDR3 ram on BioStar TZ68K
2 120 GB SATA3 SSD + 500 GB SATA HD
EVGA 550 ti super clocked video card

#4 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:22 AM

For the record, I've found Superfetch to be a nice addition, and it does not cause any spikes in my CPU or disk usage running Home Premium.

Same here. I have played around with this and really notice a difference with Superfetch off when closing out of a game, takes far longer for a system/memory intensive game to shutdown with Suoerfetch off than when it is on.

Another thing that can add to startup time/hard drive usage/etc is the Windows Search/VSS/etc.

I know that it has been posted before,

http://www.tweakhoun...guide/index.htm

but never hurts to keep it out there.

MS - MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010 - 2012

#5 SSV

SSV

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:50 PM

Worst tip to follow: I stopped it yesterday and restarted my pc today. The taskbar and the sidebar all froze up- a couple of minutes later the screen blacked out with an error message saying that some security things could not be processed, i had to reboot into safe mode and restart superfetch and everything worked out fine. Prefetch (C:\windows\prefetch\), on the other hand was something of a problem- primarily to Star-Craft: Brood Wars: it caused the graphics to be distorted and minimized to 256 colors. So i blocked it (right-click on prefetch folder\properties\security\advanced\edit\Deny everyone: Create files, folders and write attributes) and now Brood wars is running with no problems.

#6 Augusto

Augusto

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 294 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

Worked fine...

#7 Amir

Amir

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:38 AM

somthing simillar for winxp pro?

#8 Ttech1

Ttech1

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:00 AM

If you guys are interested in turning off your services to gain back some resources on your computer you should check out "blackviper.com", he is the master at this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users