How do you make a config file?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brintinacx

Brintinacx

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:48 PM

I know you create a .txt document, but how do you turn it into a .cfg file? In the drop down box in "save as", there is no choice for a .config file.

#2 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

Just add the extension you want to use, whatever.cfg (or .reg, .inf, etc), after whatever name you are calling the file.

MS - MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010 - 2012

#3 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:58 PM

i think you need a text editor, possibly something better than notepad.

http://www.stbernard...nd_registry.htm example

i hope i am giving you the info that is needed
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth !!
Join the next generation of computing, Open Source, and Linux/GNU!
"nvidia license taints kernel"

#4 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:18 PM

Notepad is enough, Attached File  sample.jpg   2.85KB   44 downloads One saved as a regular txt, the other with .cfg added to the file name.

MS - MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010 - 2012

#5 Brintinacx

Brintinacx

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:37 PM

Just add the extension you want to use, whatever.cfg (or .reg, .inf, etc), after whatever name you are calling the file.

I did that stormy, but it still saved it as a .txt file. I have different icons for .txt files and .cfg files. .txt file's icons are notepad of course, the .cfg files show up as Office documents. Thats how I can tell them apart. It dosent change icons when i save it, it still looks like a .txt document.

EDIT: I just went back and did it again, and it worked! I must have done it wrong the first time. Sorry for bugging ya all!

Edited by Brintinacx, 26 October 2007 - 10:41 PM.

#6 KRAM

KRAM

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 10,014 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:05 PM

I always thought .cfg files should be opened and made with word pad not note pad?

#7 SilverCartell

SilverCartell

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

right click on it the file and if u hav winrar click to archive a winrar screen wil pop up click on zip to add it as a zip file then go to winrar find the zip file rename it as the name of the doc then put .cfg or .inf or .reg

#8 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

I know you create a .txt document, but how do you turn it into a .cfg file?

To save a Notepad file with a CFG extension, click File and Save As. In the File Name box, type the file name with a CFG extension, and place quotes around the file name, e.g., "A Config File.cfg". The quotes are essential. Select the destination folder and click Save.

If you've opened a CFG file for editing in Notepad via the Open With or SendTo feature, or from within Notepad via File and Open, resave the file by clicking File and Save (or close Notepad and click Yes). The original file and and extension will be retained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users