Removing all traces of ad aware?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcuseless

pcuseless

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

Hello! I recently bought some McAffee virus software (bad or good idea I don't know, I'm not very good with knowledge on what's best). As I tried to install it, it told me that it couldn't work along side Ad Aware. So I removed the ad aware program and all traces of it that i could find. Whenever I try to install it now it tells me I still have ad aware on my pc. I cannot find a trace of it anywhere. Could it be hiding anywhere, and if so how do I remove it? Any help would be very gratefully received! Thanks alot!

#2 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 21,914 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:09 PM

After you uninstalled it via the Add/Remove programs panel, did you reboot?

If it's Ad-Aware 2007 try this in case there are any left over files/folders.

Please ensure Hidden files and folders are viewable:

Go to My Computer->Tools->Folder Options->View tab:
* Under the Hidden files and folders heading:
* select Show hidden files and folders.
* Uncheck Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
*Also, make sure there is no checkmark beside Hide file extensions for known file types.
* Click OK.

Using Windows Explorer (right-click your "Start" button and select "Explore"), please navigate to and delete the following Files and Folders (if they exist):

C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007

Reboot and try to install McAffee again.
Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.
Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings..
MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2013

#3 pcuseless

pcuseless

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:53 PM

Thanks loads for your advice! I attempted this, went into the explorer and could not see any lavasoft or ad aware files at all. Tried a search after making all the folders visible too but to no avail. So I tried to install my McAffee disc again, but it was telling me I still have Ad Aware SE installed on my computer! No amount of reboots are helping me! Anyone else have any ideas? This has been frustrating me for a couple of months!

#4 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 21,914 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:48 PM

I think your going to have to completely uninstall McAfee and start over.

Before uninstalling SecurityCenter, you must uninstall VirusScan, Personal Firewall, Privacy Service, and SpamKiller.

Download and run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe).
Running the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR.exe) removes all 2005, 2006, and 2007 versions of McAfee consumer products.
McAfee Security Center
McAfee VirusScan
McAfee Personal Firewall Plus
McAfee Privacy Service
McAfee SpamKiller
McAfee Wireless Network Security
McAfee SiteAdvisor
McAfee Data Backup
McAfee Network Manager
McAfee Easy Network
McAfee AntiSpyware

Download the removal tool from http://download.mcaf...atches/MCPR.exe
Click Save and save the file to any folder on the computer.
Navigate to the folder where the file is saved.
Double-click MCPR.exe.
Click Run. A Command Line window will be displayed, and then close automatically. Wait for a second Command Line window to be displayed.
Note: Do not double-click MCPR.exe again, you may have to wait up to 1 minute for the next window to appear.
After the second window appears, the program will begin the cleanup.
Observe the installation, which could take several minutes. The following message will be displayed in the Command Line window:
The machine must reboot to complete the un-installation. Reboot now? [y.n]
Press Y on the keyboard.
Wait for the computer to restart.
All McAfee products are now removed from your computer.
These McAfee removal instructions can be found at http://ts.mcafeehelp...sp?docid=408302
Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.
Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings..

#5 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 21,914 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:58 PM

If it turns out your not happy with McAfee and would like a list of Free Antivirus I'll supply a list.

AVG,
Avira
Avast!
How to Install, Configure, and Use Avast Antivirus
Active Virus Shield
Setup tutorial for Active Virus Shield

Never install more than one antivirus scanner or firewall on your system! Several together can give you problems and decrease the reliability of it seriously!

Now you need a Firewall

You should not rely on just the Windows XP firewall when there are firewalls that are free for personal use that are better, the Windows XP firewall only checks incoming data.
(Windows firewall is not truly a firewall. It is a NAT (Network Address Translation) program more than anything. That means it may block unknown incoming traffic, but doesn’t do anything about outgoing traffic. Malware already inside your system will be able to communicate out and download all sorts of other nasties into your system.)
If you decide to download and install another Firewall....please disable Windows Firewall.
Start menu->>Control Panel->>Security Center->>Windows Firewall and disable Windows Firewall.
The following FREE versions are:
Sygate free firewall
ZoneAlarm free firewall
Outpost free Firewall
Comodo
Setup and tutorial for Comodo found Here
Test your Firewall and make sure it is working properly.

Note: You must only use 1 (one) Firewall at a time because if you have 2 or more Firewalls running at the same time, they will conflict with each other and make your security less reliable.
The above are known good free Firewalls available for personal use. If one conflicts with your system, try another.
For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of available ones see the link Here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users