Monitor goes to sleep on boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cosh5

cosh5

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:50 AM

Hi. I have an intermittent problem on booting my PC. As part of its boot sequence, the monitor has always gone into sleep mode very briefly before coming back to life. I don't know why it does this, but it has always gone on to complete booting up without problems. However, over the last couple of weeks, I've had a recurring problem with the monitor going to sleep during boot, then not coming back to life again. I have to switch off completely then try again. Sometimes that works, but sometimes it takes several attempts before my PC will boot fully. I'm wondering whether this could be a problem with the monitor itself, the graphics card or the motherboard. However, as it's an intermittent problem, I'm struggling to figure it out. Any suggestions would be very gratefully received. Thank you.

#2 porksandwich9113

porksandwich9113

^Cheap Man's Labtop^

• Advanced Member
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:13 AM

Sounds like something bigger than just the graphics card. And if could be something as small as dust accumulation inside the case. Any chance you can run a Pit-Test and post the link for us. Also, have you opened your case latly, and cleaned out all the dust mites? If not get some compressed air, and a small cloth. Obviously shut your computer off, unplug it, then open it up, touch the PSU for a second to ground yourself. And wipe off what you can get to. Then i would try re-seating your graphics card and ram. Pull it out, spray out the PCIe/AGP slot, and the DIMM slots with compressed air, and then clean the golden connectors of the cards/ram with a rubber pencil eraser. While you in there, make sure all connections are firm where they are supposed to be, and no visable damage to any wires..
i7 920 @ 4.25Ghz | Prolimatech Megahalem | EVGA E757 LE | 6 GB Tridents ATI 5850 @ 800/1100 | Asus Xonar DX | 2 X 60GB Agility 2 in Raid0 | 1000 Watt Enermax PSU | 2 22" Monitors | Razer Peripherals | Logitech X-540 | 4X2TB Raid5 TV Shows Archive

#3 cosh5

cosh5

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:26 AM

Many thanks for responding so quickly. Here's my test result:

http://www.pcpitstop...top/Summary.asp

I've had a peek inside the case and checked that all connections seem to be secure. I can't see any obvious signs of damage, meltdown or leakage etc. There's a bit of dust, so thank you for your suggestion of compressed air. I will get some and have a blow round.

#4 porksandwich9113

porksandwich9113

^Cheap Man's Labtop^

• Advanced Member
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

Ah, you posted your link incorrectly, partially my bad, i forgot to explain.
http://www.pcpitstop...ress/howto1.asp
That explains how to do it.
i7 920 @ 4.25Ghz | Prolimatech Megahalem | EVGA E757 LE | 6 GB Tridents ATI 5850 @ 800/1100 | Asus Xonar DX | 2 X 60GB Agility 2 in Raid0 | 1000 Watt Enermax PSU | 2 22" Monitors | Razer Peripherals | Logitech X-540 | 4X2TB Raid5 TV Shows Archive

#5 cosh5

cosh5

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:49 AM

Oops, sorry. I'll try again:

http://www.pcpitstop...ZNCHWB0S3VS1F6V

#6 scott38

scott38

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:56 PM

well this is interesting, my monitor does the same thing, flashes going to sleep on boot up to... its been like that since the first time i used it on my compaq..its an hp 17" lcd...but mine is only 5 months old.. i only used it on that pc for about 4 months or so, im using it now and this is a new build, and still does the same thing... i have know problems like your explaining, i just thought it was normal...im a little confused as to what it could be..i dont know if all new lcd monitors do this...i see your is like 4 years old... who knows maybe i will run into problems to down the road...could be just your monitor going...i had no issues on my compaq...the thing runs good...now like i said i have it on a new build and it still does it...no issues w/this one either.. meaning ,graphics card or ram...... i will keep an eye on this thread to see if ya get it resolved..i would really like to know as to why this happens...gl.scott ;)

Edited by scott38, 17 August 2007 - 10:03 PM.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922---Mobo/Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H--Cpu/AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 3.8GHz/Ram: G. Skill--4GB'S DDR3 1600MHZ Rip Jaws@1372mhz
Gpu: XFX 5870@900/1300/Psu: OCZ Modxstream Pro 700 Modular Unit/Cooler--- Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler/ Hdd----2-Samsung Spinpoint F1 320gb
Audio--Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme

#7 cosh5

cosh5

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:03 AM

Hi. I'm sorry to take so long to post again. That must seem very ungrateful after the help you've given me! Anyway, I got the compressed air as you suggested and I opened up my box again. This time, after much puffing, I got a better look at it. I realised that I was wrong before when I said I couldn't see any signs of leakage. This time, I got a really good look at the cylinder thingies on the motherboard (which I now know are called capacitors). I could see that some of them were bulging slightly and had tiny traces of a rust-like stain on them. I took my box to a repair shop and they confirmed that the capacitors had popped and were leaking. That's what was causing my problems. I've had a new motherboard fitted and everything seems to be working okay now. Interestingly, my monitor isn't doing the on-off dance anymore, not even the way it did when my computer was brand new. Anyway, I'm relieved it was just the motherboard, which was a lot cheaper to replace than a monitor would have been. Once again, many thanks for your help, which is very much appreciated. I would never have spotted the capacitors otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users