• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 someguyouknoe

someguyouknoe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

I have a netgear wireless router WGR614v6 and am trying to connect other devices to it. It will only work if the SPI firewall is disabled. One computer runs Linux. The computers on the network all have software firewalls. But will it protect against the same attacks the SPI firewall would?

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

I think I say it best when I say I know nothing at all.

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:09 PM

Not quite sure which firewall you mean here, are you on about your software firewall or your hardware firewall ?
>>>Here<<< is the page for your product which will hopefully have what you need somewhere in it, hope that helps.

#3 phil

phil

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:11 PM

Since the router has NAT (which I assume is enabled) you can disable the SPI firewall without issue. Really, when behind a NAT enabled router, software firewalls aren't required either. Phil

#4 aeroman10

aeroman10

^Rocket the Dog

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 9,288 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

You could disable it. It should be fine if you have another firewall. However, firewall issue aside, you should upgrade to SP2 anyways.

#5 someguyouknoe

someguyouknoe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:36 PM

Not quite sure which firewall you mean here, are you on about your software firewall or your hardware firewall ?
>>>Here<<< is the page for your product which will hopefully have what you need somewhere in it, hope that helps.

Its the hardware firewall. All but my linux box has software firewalls and they are all fine. I wouldnt disable those.

Since the router has NAT (which I assume is enabled) you can disable the SPI firewall without issue. Really, when behind a NAT enabled router, software firewalls aren't required either.

Phil

Thats good to know. I could only assume my router has NAT support. I dont see any setting for that. The product page doesnt say much about that either.

You could disable it. It should be fine if you have another firewall.
However, firewall issue aside, you should upgrade to SP2 anyways.

Will give it a try. SP2 is on all of the windows computers. One is using kaspersky(sp?) security suite and the others are using windows firewall.

Thanks for the response. I suppose i have to find out if NAT support is on the router.

#6 aeroman10

aeroman10

^Rocket the Dog

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 9,288 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:54 PM

All routers should have NAT support otherwise it would not be a "router" :)

#7 someguyouknoe

someguyouknoe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:23 PM

All routers should have NAT support otherwise it would not be a "router"
:)

haha well then there you go.

Guess i should learn more about routers :rofl2:

#8 8210GUY

8210GUY

I think I say it best when I say I know nothing at all.

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:23 PM

I couldn't say for sure but I think there are non firewall routers, they may be in the minority but I have a vague recollection of seeing some without them, I could be wrong though.

>>>Here<<< is a page about accessing the routers settings by logging into it's ip address, thought it worth the mention incase you hadn't come across this, once in there you may see settings that can help you achieve what your trying to do.
There is also a bit on such firewalls at >>>This Page<<< incase it enlightens anyone.

But basically you can disable the firewall within this router assuming ALL your connections are protected by software firewalls etc, it isn't as safe as having the hardware firewall on, but it wont be the end of the world if you didn't use it, but my guess is if you configure your router to allow the other devices through then you will have the best of both worlds IMHO, there are several topics in that first link I gave about setting it up, one would hope you could find the solution you needed going through that ? hope it helps anyway.

#9 someguyouknoe

someguyouknoe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:00 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the knowledge!

#10 phil

phil

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:35 AM

All routers should have NAT support otherwise it would not be a "router"
:)

A "Router" is a device to allow communication between two subnets. NAT is a process which rewrites packets as they pass through a device to make them appear as if they are from an publicly routable IP rather than the (usually local) IP of the source device.

Soon NAT will not be necessary as IPv6 comes into use as everyone gets a /64 for their own use and each PC on the network can have a public IP - however we will still have routers.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users