No internet after format

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Matrix_SLI

Matrix_SLI

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

I hope someone can help me, had had some problems with my pc so i had to format but this is where the problem starts, i have a NETGEAR DG834GT router through sky internet adsl and have 2 computers connected through it. after i formated i cant get no internet what so ever either throught my onboard ethernet connection or my D LINK ethernet card. in my control panel network connection i have 1 icon which says: 1394 connection, if i click on it it says no packets sent or recieved, i normally have to of them a gateway one. i cant even connect through lan cable to my other pc so i cant send anything between them or get internet updates etc. while my other pc still works with my router the newly formatted one wont detect it. Ive gone through internet connections to try to make a new connection and used my sky internet CD and reset my router, my windows firewall is off.

#2 mouse

mouse

Advanced Member

• The SWAT Team
  • 9,331 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

Sounds like your missing the lan drivers.

#3 Wademan

Wademan

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:48 PM

Well like "mouse" said sounds like you missing the drivers. Right click "my computer" select "hardware" on the tabs, then "device manager" scroll down to "network adapters" then right click ones you have, select "update drivers" ( you will need the disc with the drivers on it, the disc you had them on before the reformat ) most likely the isp disc for the routers, etc. and just follow the prompts/wizard. It will ask for the disc, insert it an let it scan for the drivers. Hope it works.. :)

#4 Matrix_SLI

Matrix_SLI

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:54 PM

Well like "mouse" said sounds like you missing the drivers. Right click "my computer" select "hardware" on the tabs, then "device manager" scroll down to "network adapters" then right click ones you have, select "update drivers" ( you will need the disc with the drivers on it, the disc you had them on before the reformat ) most likely the isp disc for the routers, etc. and just follow the prompts/wizard. It will ask for the disc, insert it an let it scan for the drivers.
Hope it works.. :)

no sorry that aint working my network adapter looks fine in my device manager no yellow ? i tryed to update rivers with my sky internet disc in drive and it just said connect to internet to find drivers, which is ironic, below it theres 3 yellow ? in the other devices ethernet controller, other pci bridge device and unknown device. tryed them aswell but no avail.

#5 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:15 PM

Assuming XP and the computer in your sig,

http://www.nvidia.co...win2k_6.86.html

P.S. The ethernet controller IS the network card.

MS - MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010 - 2012

#6 Wademan

Wademan

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:28 PM

no sorry that aint working my network adapter looks fine in my device manager no yellow ? i tryed to update rivers with my sky internet disc in drive and it just said connect to internet to find drivers, which is ironic, below it theres 3 yellow ? in the other devices ethernet controller, other pci bridge device and unknown device. tryed them aswell but no avail.

Yes matrix the yellow(!) is drivers that need updated, as stormy also advised. Let us know how you make out..
Edit: just try the link Stormy gave, download that driver and see if it works, of course if that ONE pc cant connect to the interent , you will need to download on other pc to a cd, and put that in the pc that needs drivers. You could also, simply call the ISP and ask for help.

Edited by Wademan, 07 May 2007 - 02:10 PM.

#7 Matrix_SLI

Matrix_SLI

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:09 PM

ive took a few sceenshots but cant transfer them over to cdrw disc on me other pc, them nvidia drivers havent done anything. i still have no internet or lan and still av yellow? in Ethernet controller and unknown device. on my network adapters it has 1394 net adapter with no yellow ? as before. just the other bit in my device manager argh ive been on the solid for 24 hours now if i had hair i would pull it out.

#8 Wademan

Wademan

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:13 PM

Another idea,.did you do a clean install? meaning when you reformated, erased the drive, THEN installed windows? I Know for many drivers to work you need atleast sp1, most now need sp2 on xp. Did you install the windows updates? I know you couldnt connect to the net on that pc, but did windows disc have sp1 or sp2 already on it? It's odd that the drivers seam to not be on the isp disc, meaning that sky dsl disc , all mine are on the isp disc for the routers, ethernet, etc :blink: so when inserted your sky disc and right clicked the update driver in hardware , it ONLY has option 'connect to internet for drivers"? strange if so ..Should have option to say NO, and then select "next" then new window in the driver update wizard opens, which says insert the disc so windows can search IT..you dont get this option?

Edited by Wademan, 07 May 2007 - 02:38 PM.

#9 Matrix_SLI

Matrix_SLI

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:50 PM

i had 64bit windows installed but i re-installed it with 32bit windows that has sp2 on it, i had a nightmare trying to do a clean install it kept going to install windows i couldnt get the option to delete windows to install it ended up with about 4 boot setors, then i managed to do a clean format and clean install of 32 xp sp2. i think i might go and format again and install my 64bit xp, if it will sort the problem out. im going thrip ding!

#10 Wademan

Wademan

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

so when inserted your sky disc and right clicked the update driver in hardware , it ONLY has option 'connect to internet for drivers"? strange if so ..Should have option to say NO, and then select "next" then new window in the driver update wizard opens, which says insert the disc so windows can search IT..you dont get this option?Have you tried calling your ISP>? they have helped me when all else fails..

#11 Matrix_SLI

Matrix_SLI

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

it say searching for driver, then after a pause it says connect to internet to find driver option yes or no

#12 Wademan

Wademan

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

it say searching for driver, then after a pause it says connect to internet to find driver option yes or no

Ok I would call your ISP..before I would reformat, but its your call..I have no clue why its doing that... :cr@sh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users