How do I reinstall Internet Explorer, That came with Vista

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rayk44

rayk44

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:47 AM

Internet Explorer has just stopped working. So I installed Fox Fire so that I can get on the internet. Any help out there? Thank You Ray

#2 badbinary

badbinary

the dude abides

• The SWAT Team
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:34 AM

what exactly is the problem with ie?

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"

#3 mickyjew

mickyjew

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:38 PM

If it is the same as I get. When you click on internet explorer a window pops up straight away - Internet Explorer has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. At one stage windows suggested to try All Programs-Accesories-System Tools-Internet Explorer(with no add-ons). I tried that and got the same result.

#4 Wademan

Wademan

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

have you tried the RIES feature in ie7? You can run the Reset Internet Explorer Settings, or RIES, feature from within IE7. From the Tools menu, select Internet Options and on the Advanced tab, click the Reset Internet Explorer Settings button. After RIES has run its course, the user will notice that the settings for the browser's home pages, search providers, browsing history, form data, passwords, appearance settings, toolbars and ActiveX controls are reset to their "first-run" states. If you can't open Internet Explorer because of all the problems you were experiencing, choose the Internet Options applet within Control Panel, and you can access the RIES button from there. See if that helps you, you might need to re-enter passwords at websites though. :)

#5 mickyjew

mickyjew

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

Thank you that worked perfectly. To be honest I never use Internet Explorer, I always use Firefox or Opera. My kids for some reason all prefer Internet Explorer, so they all just gave a hearty THANKYOU WADEMAN!

#6 Wademan

Wademan

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:14 PM

Thank you that worked perfectly. To be honest I never use Internet Explorer, I always use Firefox or Opera. My kids for some reason all prefer Internet Explorer, so they all just gave a hearty THANKYOU WADEMAN!

Hey Mickyjew, you very welcome, glad to be of help..and forgot> :wp: come back an see us soon, with problems, or offer your own help to others.. :)

Edited by Wademan, 27 April 2007 - 08:16 PM.

#7 sudo

sudo

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:34 AM

Glad to learn that there are more people prefer to use Firefox...!

#8 Fluff

Fluff

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

I just set up an account so that I could say the same! Just by looking at the responses I fixed the problem. Thank you!

#9 Lilibett

Lilibett

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

have you tried the RIES feature in ie7? You can run the Reset Internet Explorer Settings, or RIES, feature from within IE7. From the Tools menu, select Internet Options and on the Advanced tab, click the Reset Internet Explorer Settings button. After RIES has run its course, the user will notice that the settings for the browser's home pages, search providers, browsing history, form data, passwords, appearance settings, toolbars and ActiveX controls are reset to their "first-run" states. If you can't open Internet Explorer because of all the problems you were experiencing, choose the Internet Options applet within Control Panel, and you can access the RIES button from there.
See if that helps you, you might need to re-enter passwords at websites though. :)

Well I'm glad its worked for some, but of course not for me, I've had my brand new taptop connected to internet for about 1 day, sick of it already! I can't open internet explorer - is coming up with same problem as Mickyjew's so have tried RIES through control panel, twice, and rebooted, and enough now, just a small thought (I only have those) how long should it take to reset - a second or 2?. Would gladly install Firefox if only....

#10 mme

mme

HOMELAND SECURITY. Fighting Terrorism Since 1492

• Advanced Member
  • 6,799 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:48 AM

use windows cd if you got it
or try download it from here and install it

http://filehippo.com...ernet_explorer/

#11 glynnjcksn

glynnjcksn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

Hey Mickyjew, you very welcome, glad to be of help..and forgot> :wp: come back an see us soon, with problems, or offer your own help to others.. :)

WADEMAN - thanks for the assistance you gave to mickyjew, I have been frustrated with same problem for last cpl of days and then saw your answer in a google search. It worked perfectly for me - Thanks very much.

Great site by the way - have now registered and will spread the word.

Cheers
Glynn

#12 Kev34

Kev34

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:29 PM

have you tried the RIES feature in ie7? You can run the Reset Internet Explorer Settings, or RIES, feature from within IE7. From the Tools menu, select Internet Options and on the Advanced tab, click the Reset Internet Explorer Settings button. After RIES has run its course, the user will notice that the settings for the browser's home pages, search providers, browsing history, form data, passwords, appearance settings, toolbars and ActiveX controls are reset to their "first-run" states. If you can't open Internet Explorer because of all the problems you were experiencing, choose the Internet Options applet within Control Panel, and you can access the RIES button from there.
See if that helps you, you might need to re-enter passwords at websites though. :)

I tried this and it will not reset. It resets everything except the user customizations. Firefox will still connect but IE7 will not connect nor will yahoo im.

I have tried to install IE 6 but it will not let me because I have the newer IE 7. I have tried to install IE 7 in case I have a corrupt file but it will not let me because I already have IE 7. I can't delete IE 7 and install it because so many things use IE to run. Please Please Please help.

I am just about fed up with Windows Vista and IE 7.

#13 Jacee

Jacee

Madam Admin <aka> Maude

• Admins
  • 27,708 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:03 PM

Follow these instructions (courtesy PA Bear, MS MVP)

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts:
http://support.micro.../gp/pc_ie_intro

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts
(Guided Help)
http://support.micro.../gp/pc_ie_intro

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2006 thru 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users