KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Arthur21743

Arthur21743

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS Want to write fractions like they are supposed to look, or some other handy symbols like 70 (70 degrees) or 59? Here are some handy shortcuts that work with most fonts without having to open Character Map: 70 = Alt+0176 (on number pad only with Num Lock turned on) = Alt+0163 = Alt+0162 = Alt+0177 = Alt+0188 = Alt+0189 = Alt+0190

Edited by Arthur21743, 12 April 2007 - 09:19 AM.

#2 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:07 AM

I use those a quite a few more.

Also known as Alt codes. Full list here,

http://www.tedmontgo...al/ALTchrc.html

MS - MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010 - 2012

#3 Mr.DJ

Mr.DJ

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the list...I've been wanting that for quite sometime now. :note2:

#4 RossRon

RossRon

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:43 AM

Hi! The shortcut symbol which eludes me is the simple 'tick' or 'check' mark, as in "please check the box" or 'yes, that is correct'. And, of course, the opposite - large 'X' for 'incorrect'................ Any 'shortcut' ideas, please without digging into special symbols keyboards, etc ? Thanks! RossRon

Edited by RossRon, 19 December 2007 - 03:45 AM.

#5 Bruce

Bruce

Geezer

• Grand Poobah
  • 42,570 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:59 AM

Well rather then try and remember all those keyboard codes you could just install Quickkey

http://quickkeydotnet.sourceforge.net/

http://itsyourpc.org

Microsoft blew its right foot off with Windows 8.
They went to the doctor to get it reattached with Windows 8.1 only to wake up to find out that a second left foot was attached in place.

#6 jnulr

jnulr

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:25 PM

Hello! I tried several of these in "Word" and "Notepad" and they didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

jnulr :(

#7 hartvix

hartvix

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:41 AM

Hello! I tried several of these in "Word" and "Notepad" and they didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

jnulr :(

In Word (or Office generally), you could use Insert | Symbol, which will display a dlg.box. In other programs, i would suggest using CharMap, a program found under Accessories | System tools (is this what it's called in the English version?). This will display a similar window. Personally, I prefer to hit Windows Key + R (to show the Run program dlg), and then type "charmap" + Enter.
Notice that this window will also display the Alt-code you could alternatively use, so you can memorize the ones you use frequently, and type the Alt-codes directly into your document.
If typing the codes directly doesn't work, maybe you are not using the numeric part of the keyboard. The numbers above the letters will NOT work (yep, problem if you are using a laptop keyboard...)

Hope this helps...

hartvix

#8 hartvix

hartvix

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:47 AM

One more thing that could be the problem: You have to hold down the Alt-key until all of the numbers have been typed, then release. ;-)

#9 jnulr

jnulr

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:35 PM

In Word (or Office generally), you could use Insert | Symbol, which will display a dlg.box. In other programs, i would suggest using CharMap, a program found under Accessories | System tools (is this what it's called in the English version?). This will display a similar window. Personally, I prefer to hit Windows Key + R (to show the Run program dlg), and then type "charmap" + Enter.
Notice that this window will also display the Alt-code you could alternatively use, so you can memorize the ones you use frequently, and type the Alt-codes directly into your document.
If typing the codes directly doesn't work, maybe you are not using the numeric part of the keyboard. The numbers above the letters will NOT work (yep, problem if you are using a laptop keyboard...)

Hope this helps...

hartvix

Thanks! Using the "insert" key worked☺!!!!

#10 Assi

Assi

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

Wow, thanks. I didnt know there was that many of those.
Your signature may contain:
* Up to 0 images* Images up to -1 x -1 pixels* Up to 3 URLs * Up to 3 lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users