SHIFT KEY STUCK DOWN?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 Leonidas117

Leonidas117

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:28 AM

FIRST I WANT TO APOLOGIZE FOR ALL CAPS< BUT MY COMPUTER WON"T SHUT THEM OFF> IT"S AS IF MY SHIFT KEY IS BEING HELD DOWN< BUT I"M NOT TOUCHING IT> USUALLY THE ONLY WAY I CAN FIX IT IS BY RESTARTING MY COMPUTER> DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS? WHAT KIND OF SCANS OF MY COMPUTER WILL BE USEFUL? (HUJACKTHIS?) ~THANKS IN ADVANCE

#2 Wademan

Wademan

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:45 AM

FIRST I WANT TO APOLOGIZE FOR ALL CAPS< BUT MY COMPUTER WON"T SHUT THEM OFF> IT"S AS IF MY SHIFT KEY IS BEING HELD DOWN< BUT I"M NOT TOUCHING IT> USUALLY THE ONLY WAY I CAN FIX IT IS BY RESTARTING MY COMPUTER> DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS? WHAT KIND OF SCANS OF MY COMPUTER WILL BE USEFUL? (HUJACKTHIS?)

~THANKS IN ADVANCE

might be dumb question but did you spill anything on keyboard? sounds like hardware/keyboard problem.. when you restart how long before it sticks again?

#3 cablenewt

cablenewt

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:01 PM

Hmm, try holding down your left shift key for about 8 seconds. You could just have filter keys on.

Here is a Microsoft link http://www.microsoft...filterkeys.aspx

Edited by cablenewt, 05 April 2007 - 12:04 PM.

#4 Leonidas117

Leonidas117

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:16 PM

I haven't spilled anything, my computer is still mint (appearance wise - i never eat or drink near it for fear of doing something to it.) I varies how often it happens. Some days it will hapen like 3 or 4 times, then other days not at all. I also shut all the special key shortcuts off. I used to play CS so i would need to use shift & everything & shut all them off.

#5 Wademan

Wademan

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

Well, ok. If you want to run some scans, here a few online ones> http://www.pandasoft.../ActiveScan.htm or > http://www.bitdefend...m/scan8/ie.html select the "I agree" red arrow. I doubt this is spyware realted though. What scanners do you have on your pc? spybot? AdAware, etc?
You could post a PcPitStop test too for us. Take test here> http://www.pcpitstop.com/ select "full tests" to the left. After test is complete, select "TechExpress" link, upper right, and copy/paste the link back here.
All said, I doubt the test will show what your problems is, but its worth a shot. :)

#6 pumphypete

pumphypete

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:41 AM

Have you tried tapping it a few time , i had this problem some time back it worked for me, or shutdown then vacuum the keyboard. good luck

#7 Leonidas117

Leonidas117

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:16 PM

I'm sorry to start this again, but the problem is still not fixed. Before a restart the Shift error happened again, but instead of reverting back to normal after 20-30 minutes, had to restart to get it working. Nothing has spilled on my keyboard, i don't let any food or drinks near it. I constantly scan with Spybot, Adaware, AVG, & various online virus scanners with no help. Does anyone know where i could find drivers for my keyboard. Many of your posts said that it is probably hardware related, not software. Is it possible a driver update could repair it?

#8 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,079 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:45 PM

I found this regfix at kelleysKorner....read what it says before you apply

http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm
scroll down to #163 and look to the right
Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.
Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings..
MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2013

#9 Leonidas117

Leonidas117

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:15 AM

I tried the script but it didn't help... Guess i kinda got everyone stumped? It's rediculous that i have to restart my computer when it happens because there's nothing i can do while is messed up.

#10 toasale

toasale

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:53 PM

I tried the script but it didn't help... Guess i kinda got everyone stumped? It's rediculous that i have to restart my computer when it happens because there's nothing i can do while is ****ed up.

Do you have the ability to run any diagnostic keyboard tests, sometimes supplied with a unit either on the hard drive or a CD?

:geezer:

#11 MERY

MERY

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:21 PM

Have you been able to solve your SHIFT-KEY-STUCK-DOWN problem. I have the same problem. I'm using a Lattitude D820 and I've tried everything I can think of. I know is a software issue (not peanut butter or a paper stuck on shift key) since I am using a docking station and both the keyboard to the docking station and the laptop keyboard act the same. I have even tried the On-Screen keyboard and it also behaves stuck. Only re-booting puts me back to normal. :cr@sh:

#12 d_r

d_r

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:49 AM

I'm wondering if anyone has figured this one out yet. I have the same problem and (as the guy above me said) this is not a sticky keyboard from spills or what not. This is the computer thinking that the shift key is down when in reality, it's not. It not only affects typing (capped letters) but also when selecting files or text. I can't believe that there are only two who have experienced this problem since I've experienced it on every computer I've owned... at least those that run XP Pro, I can't remember back to the other OS but I think it happened on '98 SE but not '95. Anyway, I no longer have to restart my computer as I've found that if you can get into task manager via Ctrl+Alt+Del it will get rid of the problem; problem is that you can't always get in like that. Another way is to hold down the Shift key while pressing Ctrl and/or Alt. The combinations of Ctrl + Alt seem to release the "Shift" problem.

#13 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,079 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:07 PM

I sure do hope those who were having this issue will come back and make note of this..... Thank you for the input.
Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.
Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings..

#14 d_r

d_r

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

I sure do hope those who were having this issue will come back and make note of this.....
Thank you for the input.

I hope they do as well. Actually, I hope that they have found a cure to this reoccuring problem. It just started happening again for me about 3 weeks ago and has gotten progressively worse since. Even though I've had this problem for years and years and years, this is the first time that I've looked for help. I have never found a pattern; it just seems to randomly happen. At one point in time I thought it happened when I would accidentally hit Shift+Enter when going into a folder but I've ruled that one out.

I format my system every year or so (if it lasts that long) so it's never really bothered me. When it starts to happen there are usually other problems as well (super slow for no reason, problems loading files, crashes, numerous application errors, missing files, etc.). Not always all of those problems at once but there are enough that it only makes sense to start fresh again. Oh and lastly, I think it's safe to say that this is not caused by malware.

#15 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,079 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

Have you ever run the Pit test?

It's good to give a diagnosis

Please register (it's free, don't worry) with PCPitStop and run the full tests http://www.pcpitstop...top/default.asp
This is an excellent diagnostics scan that may help in determining problems not related to malware. When the tests are complete, a results page will pop up. Click "Share these results with TechExpress" on the left-hand side. Then copy the URL provided and post it here for me to review.
A tutorial here
http://www.pcpitstop...ress/howto1.asp

#16 d_r

d_r

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:37 PM

Thanks but I've never really liked the idea of those scans. I don't like the opening my computer up like that. True, I don't know what actually goes on but the idea of having some computer somewhere perform what seems to be a deep scan, doesn't sound all that safe. I don't know what exactly they're looking at or could possibly look at. It's not that I have anything to hide on my computer but at the same time, I don't allow people to just waltz into my residence either.

#17 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,079 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:07 AM

Thanks but I've never really liked the idea of those scans. I don't like the opening my computer up like that. True, I don't know what actually goes on but the idea of having some computer somewhere perform what seems to be a deep scan, doesn't sound all that safe. I don't know what exactly they're looking at or could possibly look at. It's not that I have anything to hide on my computer but at the same time, I don't allow people to just waltz into my residence either.

You can run the Pit test and not share the link....you can see what it scans and read the suggestions it gives.
It does not check or gather personal information, it does check computer specs and performance out put along with other items of that nature.
I use it often.

#18 afturner

afturner

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:50 AM

I found this regfix at kelleysKorner....read what it says before you apply
http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm
scroll down to #163 and look to the right

Hello, I had the same problem described here for _years_, but only when I used a different, older keyboard. It's an IBM KB-9930 quick-launch type, which also has a handy set of volume controls I don't want to give up. It seemed as if StickyKeys was turned on, although all settings for StickyKeys were checked off. Very frustrating, so I became accustomed to holding the shift key for a few seconds to clear this after making any CTRL+SHIFT text selections. The fix which worked for me, was to save and run #211 in the above-quoted list, right column: "Delete Sticky Keys". Good luck!

#19 roleo

roleo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

Keep it simple guys. This is an intermittant fault with keyboard. I'm assuming it's a laptop since obvious solution for desktop is replace keyboard. To disable the faulty shiftkey, try using this free app, KeyTweak from:

http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

I've used this on wife's laptop to disable key.

#20 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

As this thread is now over 2 years since last post - I guess the problem had been fixed or forgotten. I am locking the thread. No need to alert the moderators to this. Thanks.

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users