Sudden Computer Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NickTan

NickTan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:39 AM

Recently, my computer would periodically shutdown on its own, without any warning message or etc. While thinking it could be a heat issue, I looked into the bios and noticed start up CPU temperature is 50 +- 3 degree celcius. I changed a new heat sink and it became 40 +-3 degree. But the problem isnt really solved, just that it does not shut down as frequent now. After a few days of searching around the internet for solution, I still cant seem to find the problem. Would be great if there is a few pieces of advice from u guys. Thanks in advance.

#2 DonJayok

DonJayok

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 999 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:57 AM

Hey Nick,

:wp:

Can you post a pitstop test, so the guys and girls can have good look at your system

Heres how

You could maybe try running a test on your memory. You can make a bootable CD of a program called MEMTEST. Run it for a few hours to see if it brings up any errors.

#3 NickTan

NickTan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:03 AM

Hey Nick,

:wp:
Can you post a pitstop test, so the guys and girls can have good look at your system
Heres how
You could maybe try running a test on your memory. You can make a bootable CD of a program called MEMTEST. Run it for a few hours to see if it brings up any errors.

Yep, I already ran the test and placed it at the TechExpress logo below my name :D. Well, I noticed it will only shut down suddenly when I run high intensive graphical game like World of Warcraft. Other than that, it seems pretty fine.

#4 DonJayok

DonJayok

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 999 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:48 AM

Yep, I already ran the test and placed it at the TechExpress logo below my name :D

It was to early in the morning for me! :rolleyes:

Anyway, do as the results say and adjust your IE browser cache. Also, get rid of the 147mb of junk files that you have. This probably wont fix your resetting but still good to do anyway.

One thing to check in the BIOS is the shutdown temperature for the PC. Its maybe set to low, therefore it is shutting down as soon as it reaches the temperature.

Open the side case and see if the inside of the case is full of dust, especially the CPU fan. If it is give it a good clean! Alot of dust causes heat!

#5 jackpot316

jackpot316

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:01 AM

Recently, my computer would periodically shutdown on its own, without any warning message or etc. While thinking it could be a heat issue, I looked into the bios and noticed start up CPU temperature is 50 +- 3 degree celcius. I changed a new heat sink and it became 40 +-3 degree. But the problem isnt really solved, just that it does not shut down as frequent now.

After a few days of searching around the internet for solution, I still cant seem to find the problem. Would be great if there is a few pieces of advice from u guys.

Thanks in advance.

You might need to look in Administrative Tools and go to event viewer and see if you are having errors and see what they might be.... I know I am having shut down problems on every little error. Had 3 within 30 mins but for some odd reason It's not showing up in event viewer this time .But I know you might see what is causeing the shut down if you look there. Hope you get errrr fixed.

#6 mouse

mouse

Advanced Member

• The SWAT Team
  • 9,331 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:14 PM

It could be an overheating video card which would only show up when playing a graphic intensive game.

#7 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:21 PM

I agree with Mouse, a lot of graphic cards have fans on them also, and excessive dust in there will overheat that too Get a can of compressed air for pc's (all most any local store) and use a pencil eraser to hold the fan still (spinning the fan can kill it) and blow it out

Edited by Joe C, 19 March 2007 - 02:24 PM.

#8 NickTan

NickTan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:04 PM

I actually dismantle everything out and assemble them apart from my chasis. Its left with the basic setup now and it still shut down. Therefore I think it might not be overheating issue. I have 2 memory slot and plug out one to test. It still shutdown all of a sudden. Swop with another and the same thing happens. When running memtest it also does shut down, while i'm sleeping and the test is running that is. Woke up in the morning to find the com shutted down. I checked the physical state of all the cards and all seems in good condition except the chip, when i can see some darker ring(i do not know the term for it) than other. Might it be the case that the chip is partial burned that cause its unknowingly shutdown sometimes?

#9 mme

mme

HOMELAND SECURITY. Fighting Terrorism Since 1492

• Advanced Member
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:16 PM

remove the cover and use a household fan see if that allows memtest to finish

#10 NickTan

NickTan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

remove the cover and use a household fan see if that allows memtest to finish

It doesnt too. Now even if I go to bios to take a look, it also shut down while i looked at the settings. Big trouble i guess...

#11 mouse

mouse

Advanced Member

• The SWAT Team
  • 9,331 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:24 PM

That now sounds more like a failing power supply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users