Photo

If anyone has AOL Broadband connection problems read this!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LindaSeaton

LindaSeaton

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:50 AM

Wanted to post this in the hope it might help somebody out there and save them from the grief we went through! Our Silver Broadband connection went down one evening. The modem lights were green and steady but we could not get connected. When clicking on the 'green arrows' and doing the AOL test one and two, it came up with Error 676, phone line is busy. We spent a week and over 25 hours of talking to AOLs call centres in Dehli, who refused to help unless we 'reinstalled AOL software' and 'reinstalled our BT Voyager 105 modem' approximately a dozen times a day (!). They told me it was 'faulty AOL software, get a new disk', 'faulty modem drivers, get a new disk/download them from the BT website', 'faulty wiring', 'pc too old' etc etc. Finally, after a week we were told it was a problem with our 'BT line' - they tested the line and it came back inconclusive, so, a BT engineer visit was booked. Well, the BT guy was fantastic. Turns out it was AOLs fault in the first place - AOL UK have 'migrated' loads of people over to their own 'blocks' at the local exchange so they don't have to pay BT bucketloads of money BUT they have FAILED to tell AOL Europe or whatever it is now called and FAILED TO INITIALISE THE PORTS, leaving hundreds of people without a broadband connection - the BT guy spoke to AOL UK who said they knew about the problem, he then told us to ring AOL ourselves and get them to initialise the port asap. We phoned AOL (in Delhi!) and explained the situation but they refused to do anything yet again unless we 'reinstalled software/modem etc etc'. Anyway, after countless hours of trying to get through to them we phoned the Sales (England hooray), explained the situation and complained. They put us straight through to a Level 2 engineer who, thankfully, took us seriously and within 24 hours our broadband connection was up and running again. SO, if you have a similar problem it could be because you have also been 'migrated' and AOL have not initialised the port. Am hoping this helps someone not to go through the week of 'hell' we have just had through AOLs own fault!

#2 Simon9one

Simon9one

Self-Proclaimed Dictator of the World

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:10 PM

Yet another reason why I hate AOL with a passion. I'm trying to help my grandpa with all of his AOL problems and it is just terrible :cr@sh:

#3 cranmer

cranmer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:06 PM

Wanted to post this in the hope it might help somebody out there and save them from the grief we went through!
Our Silver Broadband connection went down one evening. The modem lights were green and steady but we could not get connected. When clicking on the 'green arrows' and doing the AOL test one and two, it came up with Error 676, phone line is busy. We spent a week and over 25 hours of talking to AOLs call centres in Dehli, who refused to help unless we 'reinstalled AOL software' and 'reinstalled our BT Voyager 105 modem' approximately a dozen times a day (!). They told me it was 'faulty AOL software, get a new disk', 'faulty modem drivers, get a new disk/download them from the BT website', 'faulty wiring', 'pc too old' etc etc. Finally, after a week we were told it was a problem with our 'BT line' - they tested the line and it came back inconclusive, so, a BT engineer visit was booked. Well, the BT guy was fantastic. Turns out it was AOLs fault in the first place - AOL UK have 'migrated' loads of people over to their own 'blocks' at the local exchange so they don't have to pay BT bucketloads of money BUT they have FAILED to tell AOL Europe or whatever it is now called and FAILED TO INITIALISE THE PORTS, leaving hundreds of people without a broadband connection - the BT guy spoke to AOL UK who said they knew about the problem, he then told us to ring AOL ourselves and get them to initialise the port asap. We phoned AOL (in Delhi!) and explained the situation but they refused to do anything yet again unless we 'reinstalled software/modem etc etc'. Anyway, after countless hours of trying to get through to them we phoned the Sales (England hooray), explained the situation and complained. They put us straight through to a Level 2 engineer who, thankfully, took us seriously and within 24 hours our broadband connection was up and running again. SO, if you have a similar problem it could be because you have also been 'migrated' and AOL have not initialised the port. Am hoping this helps someone not to go through the week of 'hell' we have just had through AOLs own fault!

#4 Guest_badbinary_*

Guest_badbinary_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:03 PM

why do people quote posts without saying anything? i don't get it! :pullhair:

#5 Guest_badbinary_*

Guest_badbinary_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:20 PM

why do people quote posts without saying anything? i don't get it! :pullhair:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users