18 replies to this topic

#1 Carlton

Carlton

Electric Kool-Aid

• Advanced Member
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:01 PM

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/

Has anyone looked at this distro? If the torrent speed hold up, I'll burn the dvd after work. Make my triple boot a quad boot.

My Fedora Core , Suse and PCLOS installs are working so good, I'm getting bored. Hmm, maybe it's time to install a couple of games.

If Your Not An Activist, Are You An Inactivist!

#2 Carlton

Carlton

Electric Kool-Aid

• Advanced Member
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:21 PM

This distro looks to have the latest and greatest of just about everything. The dvd is an installable live dvd with a few different options including installing game demo.
Posted Image
What's the turning desktop thingy called GLX ? It looks like it runs straight out of the box.

#3 John 44

John 44

Linux sampler

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:29 PM

Thanks Carlton for the heads up. That along with Vector are on my to-do list. :lol:

#4 xXenXx

xXenXx

Debian ninja

• Advanced Member
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:59 PM

I was thinking about trying that out. It looked interesting, saw some screenshots on osdir.

#5 Carlton

Carlton

Electric Kool-Aid

• Advanced Member
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

Sabayon is a real easy install. Uses the Anaconda installer so it's pretty well the same set up as Fedora Core. The desktop effects are pretty neat, I thinks it's Beryl...not sure though. Here's a shot of Firefox being minimized
Posted Image

#6 glussier

glussier

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:35 PM

Sabayon is a real easy install. Uses the Anaconda installer so it's pretty well the same set up as Fedora Core. The desktop effects are pretty neat, I thinks it's Beryl...not sure though. Here's a shot of Firefox being minimized
Posted Image

Sabayon is using Beryl, you have both the choice of aiglx and xgl, aiglx being the preferred choice. I think that Sabayon is the easy way in with Gentoo, and Portage is an excellent software management tool.

#7 bg1256

bg1256

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:07 AM

Sabayon is using Beryl, you have both the choice of aiglx and xgl, aiglx being the preferred choice. I think that Sabayon is the easy way in with Gentoo, and Portage is an excellent software management tool.

It's nice that all that eye candy comes pre-installed, but don't use it just for that. Xgl, aiglx, beryl, and compiz are easy enough to install on pretty much any distro, from what I can gather.

I installed it on Ubuntu Edgy in a matter of about 10 minutes.

#8 brandon

brandon

O RLY?

• Advanced Member
  • 20,006 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:36 AM

Getting X64 version now. I'm probably not going to install it, but it looks worth it to try it out. Tagging along at 600KBPS now. :tup:

Edited by brandon, 04 December 2006 - 07:37 AM.

#9 glussier

glussier

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:49 AM

It's nice that all that eye candy comes pre-installed, but don't use it just for that. Xgl, aiglx, beryl, and compiz are easy enough to install on pretty much any distro, from what I can gather.

I installed it on Ubuntu Edgy in a matter of about 10 minutes.

I'm not saying Sabayon is good because of xgl or aiglx, what I say is that it is the easy way into Gentoo. In my opinion, Portage as nothing to envy from the likes of Synaptic and apt-get.

#10 xXenXx

xXenXx

Debian ninja

• Advanced Member
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:39 PM

I'm not saying Sabayon is good because of xgl or aiglx, what I say is that it is the easy way into Gentoo. In my opinion, Portage as nothing to envy from the likes of Synaptic and apt-get.

Gentoo now has a GUI installer, similar to the likes of Ubuntu.

It was never hard to install anyways, the handbook told you exactly what to do. It just took a little bit of effort. Well worth it really.

#11 bg1256

bg1256

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:50 PM

Went to their website, and it looked pretty nice. I'm dl'ing the live dvd now, and I might play with it this weekend. Thanks for posting this :clap:

#12 Carlton

Carlton

Electric Kool-Aid

• Advanced Member
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:41 PM

This distro's really pretty good. It's got everything but the kitchen sink :) I disabled all the fancy desktop effects, now it flies along pretty quick. :)

#13 Carlton

Carlton

Electric Kool-Aid

• Advanced Member
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:13 AM

More notes on this distro for anyone thinking of trying it.

Package sources are added during the install. Karoo is the gui for the Portage package manager. Emerge is the command line installer. I've only installed a couple packages but Emerge really seems to work well.
su

emerge [i]packagename[/i]

Emerge will find the package, resolve dependancies, then run ./configure, make and make install. :)

Ubuntu and Fedora Core have been kicked off my machine......Suse, PCLOS and Sayabon remain.

#14 glussier

glussier

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:46 AM

I tried suse 10.1 and 10.2 and got rid of both of them. Tried pclos, and there are not enough software available, thought I could compilte what I needed. I'm currently running Slackware 11.0, Fedora Core 6 (which I think is better then Suse) and Sabayon.

#15 John 44

John 44

Linux sampler

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:59 AM

Isn't it great that there is so much choice out there between 1st class versions of Linux? I think so. :) I would expect a user with long experience with Slackware not to want to dump it for SUSE. You're used to the way Slackware does things and it does them very well as does Fedora. I'm more used to SUSE than any other with Redhat/Fedora being 2nd. That's really all there is to it for me.

#16 Cowboy3000

Cowboy3000

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 759 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:18 AM

Isn't it great that there is so much choice out there between 1st class versions of Linux? I think so. :)

Overall, yes. But to the Linux noob, like myself, it can be overwhelming. I have so many distros downloaded sitting on my file server, I don't have time to try them all. At least not before the versions are outdated.

I installed Suse 10.2 last night. I haven't had much time to play around with it. I'm trying to install it here at work on an old compaq, but it seems to be hanging up early on. It's stopped at the point that says
"NET: Registered protocol family 2"

Edited by Cowboy3000, 12 December 2006 - 10:18 AM.

#17 Carlton

Carlton

Electric Kool-Aid

• Advanced Member
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:18 PM

I just replaced the DVD version with the miniEdition. The Mini version has plenty of apps available, the DVD had too many for my liking. K3B is all I need for burning....and so on. Beryl effects are pretty neat at first, but I find it gets old pretty quick.

#18 Carlton

Carlton

Electric Kool-Aid

• Advanced Member
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:52 PM

If anyone tries the miniCD, there are a couple apps and files you'll want to install. While the apps most folks use are installed from the miniCD, not all the plugins and necessities like libdvdcss are installed and neither is the Portage or Kuroo. All are easy fixes, but just so you know going in.... :)

Edited by Carlton, 27 December 2006 - 10:53 PM.

#19 dimwit

dimwit

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 868 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:53 AM

If anyone tries the miniCD, there are a couple apps and files you'll want to install. While the apps most folks use are installed from the miniCD, not all the plugins and necessities like libdvdcss are installed and neither is the Portage or Kuroo.

All are easy fixes, but just so you know going in.... :)

Thanks for the heads up about Sabayon Carlton, I was thinking I would go for the miniCD myself to check it out. I always learn from and enjoy your posts. :tup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users