• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:07 PM

This is for anyone running XP Home and would like to add the Group Policy Editor that you have probably seen mentioned many times, but can only be used in XP Pro. You can find all the necessary files required to have gpedit here,

http://files.filefro...leszip/;6235551

and instructions on where to put the files. Once installed you can instructions on how to use gpedit here,

http://support.micro...kb/307882/en-us

MS - MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010 - 2012

#2 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:30 PM

very nice stormy, we wont need xp pro to use gpedit :tup: now if only you could figure out how to get ASR to work in home addition :mrgreen:
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth !!
Join the next generation of computing, Open Source, and Linux/GNU!
"nvidia license taints kernel"

#3 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:40 PM

now if only you could figure out how to get ASR to work in home addition :mrgreen:

Simplicity in itself. If a XP Home user wants the NTBackup utility it can be installed easily from their XP cd. Just pop the cd in and navigate to VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP, and you will find the installer. :mrgreen:

#4 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:44 PM

one problem! it doesnt include ASR :crash:

automated system recovery, if theres a way to get that in there you have an awsome trick, i havnt been able to figure that out :crash:

edit: http://support.micro...b/302700/EN-US/

Edited by duanester, 23 November 2006 - 04:46 PM.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth !!

#5 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:48 PM

DUH, i just answered my own question :rofl2: edit: again, it still doesnt function regardless for the fact that it will not format the drive, it will only work similar to system restore!

Edited by duanester, 23 November 2006 - 04:53 PM.

#6 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

Well it may not do it automatically (ASR that is) but it can still be done manually, which is better than not working at all.

#7 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:33 PM

i guess you are correct, once in in windows after a reformat the pc can be restored from a bkp. makes sense :) again, great tip stormy

#8 ©JoSiEBeLLe®

©JoSiEBeLLe®

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:56 PM

Thank you Stormy13, I dl'ed the files and read your instructions. I'll give it a try. If I mess up, you'll be the fisrt to know. Thanks again, Josie :adios:

I think I will stick to my cat for company. >^,,^<   

#9 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:21 PM

You're quite welcome. P.S. I don't take any responsibility if you manage to lock yourself out of Windows. :mrgreen:

#10 Randy1

Randy1

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:21 AM

I tried to add the Group Policy Editor to Windows XP Home Edition but I was unable to get it to work. :( I downloaded the files and followed the instructions but for some reason I couldn't register this file (appmgmts.dll). Error Message: (appmgmts.dll) was loaded, but the DllRegister Server entry point was not found, file can't be registered. All of the other (dll files) could be registered except for the one listed. I have tried this with SP1 & SP2 and I still get the same result. When I type in (gpedit.msc) the Group Policy Editor does load but it doesn't keep any of the settings. :blink: Any ideas on how I can get this to work? :pullhair: Plain and simple you can't add GPE to Windows XP Home Edition, so don't waste your time trying to install it!

Edited by Randy1, 04 November 2007 - 09:40 PM.

#11 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

i guess you are correct, once in in windows after a reformat the pc can be restored from a bkp. makes sense :)

again, great tip stormy

this is how M$ explains it....

NTBackup Backup/Restore and ASR release notes

Backup/Restore

ASR

1. ASR is not supported on home edition.

IF you install NtBackup from the CD to the Home Edition, ASR functionality will appear to work fine during
the backup session. Since the setup does not support ASR in the home edition, there is no way to initiate
the ASR restore in case of a disaster. If you need to restore from this session, install Windows XP manually
and then restore from the ASR media.

2. Backup to CDRW

If you decide to backup to a CDRW, you cannot target that device directly. You must create a backup set of
650MB or less and backup to a file. After the file is complete, copy the file to the CDRW.

Please refer to the readme for XP home edition for additional notes.

#12 sudo

sudo

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:16 AM

Same here too as Randy1 said any solutions?

#13 ares416

ares416

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:43 PM

Same here too as Randy1 said any solutions?

Same here, is it possible?

I found many links saying it is not supported, "XP home is not designed to enter a domain" or something like that.

#14 The Pitter

The Pitter

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:45 AM

Hi, i am new here in this forum, but This tip ofgetting gpedit.msc in Win Home XP makes no sense because I tried the same with one of my friends pc and couldn't succeeded.

#15 Bill Vincent

Bill Vincent

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:13 PM

Well, hopefully I'll bring you all a few new users. I did a short writeup for the addition of GPE to XP Home on our Blog. I sure wish I'd known it was as simple as copying the files over a long time ago! Well done! :clap:

Link to post:
http://www.winextra....tweakers-dream/

Bill Vincent
Winextra.com

#16 ethan_hines

ethan_hines

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:09 PM

I tried to add the Group Policy Editor to Windows XP Home Edition but I was unable to get it to work. :(

I downloaded the files and followed the instructions but for some reason I couldn't register this file (appmgmts.dll).

Error Message: (appmgmts.dll) was loaded, but the DllRegister Server entry point was not found, file can't be registered. All of the other (dll files) could be registered except for the one listed. I have tried this with SP1 & SP2 and I still get the same result.

When I type in (gpedit.msc) the Group Policy Editor does load but it doesn't keep any of the settings. :blink:

Any ideas on how I can get this to work? :pullhair:

Plain and simple you can't add GPE to Windows XP Home Edition, so don't waste your time trying to install it!

I had the same problem till I put all the files in the \windows\system32 directory and not in subfolders in the \windows\system32 directory.

#17 SA Jack

SA Jack

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:36 AM

I had the same problem till I put all the files in the \windows\system32 directory and not in subfolders in the \windows\system32 directory.

Hi Ethan:
I just tried doing the install of the necessary files and folders to activate Group Policy Editor on XP Home, but like a prior member pointed out, I'm also not able to register 'appmgmts.dll'. It was saved, as directed, in the windows\system32 folder. I was not clear on what you did to make it work.

Can you clarify? Thanks Ethan. -SA Jack

#18 aldibibable

aldibibable

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:04 AM

Hi Ethan:
I just tried doing the install of the necessary files and folders to activate Group Policy Editor on XP Home, but like a prior member pointed out, I'm also not able to register 'appmgmts.dll'. It was saved, as directed, in the windows\system32 folder. I was not clear on what you did to make it work.

Can you clarify? Thanks Ethan. -SA Jack

I've had that error. It doesn't seem to matter.

Anyway, I've managed to work a DOS installer into this package so you don't have to manually copy, paste and register the files:

http://www.roberttho....uk/GPedit2.zip

#19 MrDrEaMeRs

MrDrEaMeRs

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:43 PM

i tryed follow the directions and it didnt work can you help me stormy!! ty
mine didnt work at all i put both the folders in and tryed to put the c:\windows\system32\gpedit.dll nothing popup couldnt find it whats up! ? HELP!

Edited by MrDrEaMeRs, 11 April 2009 - 10:46 PM.

#20 MrDrEaMeRs

MrDrEaMeRs

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:59 PM

need help didnt work stormy what gives? plz help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users