"windows cannot format this drive. quit any programs.."

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pirell

pirell

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:00 PM

... hello people, ive been trying to format my partitioned drive, its not the system drive, its the partition. its slowing down the pc, as it hasnt been defragmented for a while, but i cant get it to degragment or format.

each time i try doing this, it tells me "windows cannot formatt this drive. quit any disk utilities or programs that may be using this drive, and close any open windows with the drive contents showing"

i have tried formatting in the command prompt ms dos window, that also tells me that the drive is locked.

i have partitioned my 80 gig drive into two, one shows up as system drive and the other as (page file) in computer management screen.

i am running mcafee internet suite, but i have turned everything off before formatting but still cant do it.

another thing is that like i said, i cnt even run disk defragmenter, when i try this, it gives me "disk defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume D: (the drive im trying to format or defrag)..pls run chkdsk. as a result, each time i restart my pc...i get a message saying chddsk is running on D drive.

i have also removed any scheduled tasks, so i dont knwo where this taks is coming from. any help..would be much apprecaiated. :beer:

p.s.
i am running windows xp pro, so its an NTFS drive.

Edited by pirell, 19 November 2006 - 10:03 PM.

#2 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,090 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:29 AM

:wp: Moving to User to User Help

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#3 dickster

dickster

Just trying to fit in.

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 14,522 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:46 AM

First, :wp: Have you tried the format in safe mode? Tap F8 at the first screen and choose safe mode from the menu that appears.
Make four wishes for yourself and work towards making them happen.

#4 pirell

pirell

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

First, :wp:

Have you tried the format in safe mode? Tap F8 at the first screen and choose safe mode from the menu that appears.

i will do. any other ideas? thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users