• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BlackWiddow

BlackWiddow

Fear the Bite!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:11 PM

Hey, I have a 52X32X CD-RW+DVD-Rom drive by AOpen. Their website doesnt offer any drivers for the drive, and I believe it runs off of the generic pNp drivers. It recognizes that the drive exists, but it wont read anything I put in it. I noticed this last week, and it didnt work until today. I tried it several times, and it finally worked. Well, I left for a few hours, and tried it again, and it doesnt work. I tried troubleshooting it thru windows, and I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and it still wont read anything. Help!!! :help: :help:

#2 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:36 PM

widdow, swap the ribbon cable for the heck of it, oh btw please dont say you did so already :thud: :lol:
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth !!
Join the next generation of computing, Open Source, and Linux/GNU!
"nvidia license taints kernel"

#3 BlackWiddow

BlackWiddow

Fear the Bite!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

Already did... just kidding! I dont think I have and extra one, although I might. But, would it make a diff if I told you I have a regular cd-rom drive as the slave and it works just fine? ( I am trying to run a DVD for an upgrade to Vista RC1)

#4 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:52 PM

this is a shot in the dark but try unpluging the cd rom, im really thinking of just about anything, i dont just want to say that the drive is bad till we are sure, and i dont want to ramble on about firmware updates and the eye could be dirty :mrgreen:
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth !!

#5 BlackWiddow

BlackWiddow

Fear the Bite!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:53 PM

I did unplug it... I unplugged it, then plugged it back in, then took the IDE cable out of the mobo and plugged it back in.

#6 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:55 PM

but just the dvd rom by itself? :huh:

#7 BlackWiddow

BlackWiddow

Fear the Bite!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

Yes, just the DVD-rom by itself. I unplugged the cable from the drive itself, then plugged back in. unplugged the cable from the mobo, then plugged it back in. then turned back on the comp......

Edited by BlackWiddow, 15 September 2006 - 09:03 PM.

#8 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:04 PM

what about media, can you play a music cd, or a dvd movie, please explain what happens when the player doesnt read a disk, also provide any messages/errors

#9 BlackWiddow

BlackWiddow

Fear the Bite!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:08 PM

I put in my AC/DC CD, and the drive blinked (on the physical part) for a while, then stopped. I cliked on the drive D (which is the dvd-rom drive) and it opens, but there are no files. I took out that CD, and tried the vista DVD, it blinked for 10 seconds, stopped. blinked once , stopped, blinked once aagain, and it was done blinking. I put in a movie DVD and the same thing happened. I put in a CD/DVD lens cleaner disk, and the same thing happened as with the AC/DC cd. I popped it out, and had an idea. I put the cleaner in at a certain position, let it run its course, and popped it out, and low and behold, it was in the same position. Could it be that it just isnt spinning?

#10 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:14 PM

dang, i was going to suggest the cd cleaner :pullhair: we know now that the eye is clean, at this point if it were me, i would start hitting it with a blunt object or even a hammer, but i dont suggest you do that, im just saying that thats what it would be worth at this point :mrsgreen:

#11 BlackWiddow

BlackWiddow

Fear the Bite!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

well, I dont think that the cleaner even ran. it usually comes on with and annoying woman talking, then it goes to the next track to do the cleaning while some elevator music plays, then she comes back on telling us that it is done cleaning. So I am thinking that the problem isnt the lens, maybe, but that it isnt spinning for some reason...?

#12 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:22 PM

posibly could be the motor gone south

#13 BlackWiddow

BlackWiddow

Fear the Bite!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:37 PM

so, at this point, Im pretty much screwed?

#14 BlackWiddow

BlackWiddow

Fear the Bite!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:42 AM

any other ideas?

#15 rikab13

rikab13

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 09:01 AM

hey guys am haveing the exzact same problem and done all that i can think of.. its as i the cd/dvd wont spin so i also thought it was the motor but now ma floppy drive wont read any floopys so a thought it was some type a hardware virus but a've all the scans a can think of am baffaled to what it could be ma pc is less than a year old so its not that. been doing some investigatig and it seems a lot a people haveing this problem so what the hell is going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#16 EclipseWebJS2

EclipseWebJS2

BOOST POWER!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:26 PM

Did you check to see if MORE THAN 1 CD-ROM DRIVE is visible in explorer? It could be jumpers...

EclipseWebJS2 } Save the Internet | OpenDNSMove, schnell! }

#17 BlackWiddow

BlackWiddow

Fear the Bite!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:59 PM

I see both my CD-Roms, the drive that is working has a CD in it and it tells me so, the other drive, the one in question, reads itself as blank, nothing in it, but something is in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users