Photo

PC turns off all the power (cuts out completely)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aug

Aug

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:47 PM

Hi, I'm having very frustrating time building a second computer for use. The parts I've bought new are: AMD 64 3200, ASUS 939 A8N5x MoBo, PciE 256MB video card (EVGA) 1 GB dual channel memory from Kingston, new 550W 24 pin power supply and Maxell 250GB hard drive. I already had a DVD-ROM and DVD burner. The problem I'm having is that the computer will all of a sudden lose power, as if someone had pulled the plug out of the wall. When I had the ASUS motherboard installed, I was able to power up and go to the BIOS and work in BIOS for as long as I wanted to. Whenever I put in my WinXP CD and started going through the installation process, the computer would just die (like someone pulled the plug). It would do this during the options segment of installing XP. I switched around Hard drives, DVD players, cables, etc.. to no avail. I suspected the mother board, so I went out and purchased a new MSI Mobo, and installed it. I actually was able to get the computer up and running, get WinXP installed, was installing all the different drivers I needed and was installing SP2 (and actually ran the computer for 6-7 hours). I found out I installed SP2 incorrectly (security software was running in the background), and starting getting the error code 0000135 upon bootup. The next morning I started the computer up with the WinXP CD with the intentions of fixing the install, when the same problem of the power cutting out started again. A friend of mine had an extra power supply, and I tried his power supply, and the same problem of the computer just cutting off in the middle of something is still occuring. I have an fan in the front of case, and exhaust, and retail AMD heatsink/fan with Arctic Silver. One thing to note that may be important: When I installed the heatsink (retail AMD) onto the first board (the ASUS), it took considerable amount of force to get the clips to anchor down...like I had to gorilla force the heatsink clips down on the tabs. The BIOS hardware monitor would show a CPU temp of 80C and a system temp of 32C. When I bought the MSI motherboard, it was a LOT easier to clip down the heatsink clip onto the tabs. The MSI hardware monitor is showing the CPU temp of about 54, and system of 30. I am also using a THIN layer of Arctic Silver as a compound. At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if the real problem is a damaged chip. Help!

#2 Deans

Deans

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:43 PM

While I'm not too familiar with AMDs and safe operating temps, 80C seems extremely high to me. I'm running a P4 Prescott which are said to run hot and I'm idling around 50C. So... if 50C is hot then 80C must be... you know... not good. It sounds like the chip is overheating and that's what is causing the shut down. Arctic Silver should do the trick but if you're still running at around 54C then you might just need to resit the heatsink. Just pop it out, rotate it, and stick it back in. Check your BIOS and see if there are any temp thresholds or anything like that. It's a start. You should find someone with some experience in AMD though. I'm sure someone else on this board will offer something. Forgot to mention, it could also be that you're grounding out somewhere. Check to make sure that your mobo isnt touching your casing anywhere.

Edited by Deans, 10 August 2006 - 02:45 PM.

#3 M1918A1

M1918A1

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 598 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:43 PM

Not sure if this will help, but if you check the numbers on your CPU you can figure out the max operating temp from this chart:
http://www.cpu-world...tification.html

Seems to me that 50C is a bit hot for idle speed...If you decide to reset the heatsink, here is something that worked pretty good for me......

First, I pulled the motherboard out of the case...much easier to work with this way.........Then I put a tiny bit of arctic silver on the chip........and THEN, instead of hooking the clip over one end, i CAREFULLY lined up the heat sink and set it straight down on the processer.....THEN I hooked the front clip while the heatsink was flat...then, while holding the heatsink flat, I used a screwdrive and hooked the back clips
Laying the heatsink on flat made a big difference...When I did it the normal way I always had idle temps in the low 50's....now it runs in the low 40's

#4 Aug

Aug

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

Not sure if this will help, but if you check the numbers on your CPU you can figure out the max operating temp from this chart:
http://www.cpu-world...tification.html

Seems to me that 50C is a bit hot for idle speed...If you decide to reset the heatsink, here is something that worked pretty good for me......

First, I pulled the motherboard out of the case...much easier to work with this way.........Then I put a tiny bit of arctic silver on the chip........and THEN, instead of hooking the clip over one end, i CAREFULLY lined up the heat sink and set it straight down on the processer.....THEN I hooked the front clip while the heatsink was flat...then, while holding the heatsink flat, I used a screwdrive and hooked the back clips
Laying the heatsink on flat made a big difference...When I did it the normal way I always had idle temps in the low 50's....now it runs in the low 40's

Thanks guys. I actually did pop the chip and fan/heatsink out of the motherboard, and reinstalled them. This time, instead of using a little drop of Arctic Silver in the middle of the CPU (where the core is?), I spread a thin layer over the entire surface. I put my finger in a plastic bag so as not to contaminate the surface. So far, I've been up and running, and have re-installed XP and drivers. After 45 minutes of running, the BIOS hardware monitor showed the CPU temp to be around 39C. WAY BETTER.

#5 bodgeup

bodgeup

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:04 PM

Hello,

Wondered if anyone could help me out.

Im having the exact same problem.

My machine posts and cuts out. Or sometimes gets to MS Vista then cuts out.

Exactly as original poster described. But my CPU is running at normal temps.

Could it be PSU lacking power and boards cuts it out to stop damage.

I use Asus PC probe util in windows and i do get Voltage drops for 3.3v and 12v they are set at 10%.

Any ideas????

Thanks in advance

bodgeup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users