Wireless connection obtaining wrong ip address

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jaymac

jaymac

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:25 AM

Hello all. My problem is, connecting to wireless access points using my Laptop. What happens is, when I initiate a connection to an access point, (whether it is a public or private point, I have tried several), it takes about 30 t0 60 seconds to obtain an ip address, and when it does, the ip address is well out of the normal range of private ip addresses. For example 169.254.246.183 Subnet mask 255.255,0,0. On opening Internet explorer or Opera, I get "Page not found DNS error". If I connect to the same point using my other computer or my Palm Lifedrive PDA there is no problem, and the ip address in in the normal range, eg:- 192.168.0.9 My system is:- Compaq Pesario 2500 Belkin G USB network adapter. Windows XP Home Thank's.... Jon

#2 radio

radio

Gator skins 4sale

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:38 AM

Welcome to the Pit :mrgreen: the ip# 169.254.*.* means that it's not making a complete connection to the router/ap does your router/ap have WEP or WPA enabled or is encryption turned off?

A+, Network+, Security+, and MCP certified

radiosplace.com - kreativekristie.com

#3 jaymac

jaymac

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:43 AM

Welcome to the Pit :mrgreen:

the ip# 169.254.*.* means that it's not making a complete connection to the router/ap

does your router/ap have WEP or WPA enabled or is encryption turned off?

The problem occurs on all public access points, they do not have
encryption enabled.

Jon.

#4 radio

radio

Gator skins 4sale

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:54 AM

did you disable the Windows Zero Configuration utility from the adapter's tray icon?

also, try deleteing any profiles that are setup in the Belkin utility as well and start with a new one.

here's the manual I'm looking at as well: http://web.belkin.co...les/F5D7050.pdf

A+, Network+, Security+, and MCP certified

radiosplace.com - kreativekristie.com

#5 jaymac

jaymac

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:27 PM

Well, I think I've sorted it, it seems to be Zone Alarm firewall that is causing the problem. reduced all the security settings to minimum, but it made no difference. I then tried shutting it down completely, and the comp now connects to access points without any problems. The strange thing is, Zone Alarm caused no problems on my other computer, I have been using it for years. Anyway, I will see how it goes over the next day or so. Jon. These new fangled computers will never catch on!!!!.java script:emoticon(':geezer:', 'smid_12')

#6 Technodruid

Technodruid

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 503 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:42 AM

169.254.246.183 Subnet mask 255.255,0,0 <<<<Windows default when it cannot obtain IP from DHCP. About all you can do is ask the WAP site personnel if anyone else is having the same problem.

#7 A+ComputerGeek

A+ComputerGeek

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:03 PM

Yeah make sure your Wireless Zero connection is on go to start run type services.msc and make sure the service is started also make sure you have no conflicts with your wireless card in device manager, then go to start run type cmd and do the ipconfig, if you still get that 169..... number then try the ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users