Slow pentium 4

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scott972

scott972

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:46 PM

My 2,6 Ghz Pentium 4 with 1 GB of Ram is running very slow. I have run spy sweeper, norton av, and registry repair everyday, yet still no solution. Any help would be appreicated. Thanks, Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0 Scan saved at 9:49:51 PM, on 8/5/2006 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsgSys.EXE C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\ToolBoxFX\bin\HPTLBXFX.exe C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP UT\bin\hppusg.exe C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\LTMSG.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE J:\Scott Documents\My Downloads\HijackThis.exe O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe

#2 scott972

scott972

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

norton can slow systems down, but not that bad.

when was the last time you defragged?

could you post a techexpress link?

I defragged the drive weekly. The last time was 4 days ago. When I shut down wmiprvse.exe, spool.exe, and 1 svchost (the one with the most CPU usage) the system runs a little better. I am running windows XP how can I check what svchost is running? tasklist does not work!

#3 scott972

scott972

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

tasklist /svc does not work with windows xp home. Sorry i forgot to mention that i was running the home edition.

#4 strukt

strukt

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:34 PM

Hmm, I would go into msconfig (if u can in Windows Home) and stop most... if not... all of the HP items from starting up, and as far as i know... im not sure if you should be closing "svchost.exe".. but im not sure? I know when i close it, :filtered: happens to my pc and it turns off.. well, depends which 1 i close :P

#5 Y kawika

Y kawika

Anti-Spyware Brigade

• Admins
  • 20,052 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:58 PM

I am running windows XP how can I check what svchost is running?

SysInternals' Process Explorer

How to Post a Pit test

:)Y

Y kawika's Computers and Stuff

Post When You Want and Help When You Can..........Y

#6 Vincentz

Vincentz

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:17 AM

My 2,6 Ghz Pentium 4 with 1 GB of Ram is running very slow. I have run spy sweeper, norton av, and registry repair everyday, yet still no solution. Any help would be appreicated.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 9:49:51 PM, on 8/5/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:

[Snip]
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\ToolBoxFX\bin\HPTLBXFX.exe

While this reply may come too late to be of any assistance to you, it might be helpful to others who have similar problems.

I have been working on a Pentium 4 box that bogs down to the degree that it is virtually unusable. CPU usage would repeatedly go to 100% for about 14 seconds and then dip lower 4 seconds. The user's Norton Antivirus 2005 subscription had recently expired, I checked first for viruses and malware. A malware item was found and removed but the systems symptoms didn't change.

In this case it was wmiprvse.exe that was taking a big chunk of the CPU's time. When it was killed it would reappear. I saw some action from HPTLBXFX.exe around this time and tried killing it too. The system seemed to be fine until reboot when the HPTLBXFX.exe was loaded on startup. I disabled the HPTLBXFX.exe in MSConfig and the system was fine upon reboot. Running HPTLBXFX.exe manually would, with a minor delay, resume the high CPU usage generally and in wmiprvse.exe.

This was confirmed in a forum on the HP website:
http://forums1.itrc....184932 28353475

Talk there indicates that as of June 2006, updating the HPTLBXFX.exe software or doing registry scrubbed reinstall of the package it comes with do not fix the problem. Killing HPTLBXFX.exe does not affect capacity to print but does disable use of the Scan To function on multifunction devices.

There does not seem to be any reference to this issue in HP support apart from the forum posts.

HP says of wmiprvse, "Microsoft Windows Management Instrumentation allowing the management of Windows processes. Do not prevent from starting."
http://forums1.itrc....184932 28353475

Vincentz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users