New folders that I did not create appeared

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 photocatcher

photocatcher

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:10 PM

Today I found three folders in My Documents that I did not create. One was My Received Files I deleted it as soon as I saw it. The other two are Schedule OCR Input that was created on 06-13 06 and Schedule OCR Output that was created on 05-27-06. I know that OCR means Optical Character Recognition but I am at a loss as to how they got into My Documents folder. If anyone knows what program the folders belong to let me know. If this has happened to you let me know if I should delete them or keep them. I thought that the My Documents section was just for the owner to create folders. I tried to see if this question has been asked before at PCPITSTOP but I am not sure how to look at past posts since things have changed here. I am sorry if I am asking a question that has been answered before. Any help will be appreciated.

Edited by photocatcher, 26 July 2006 - 06:07 PM.

#2 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:34 PM

For starters My Received files folder is suppoed to be there, it is the default folder if you use Windows or MSN messenger (now Messenger Live) when you receive files from contacts. As for the other two, do you happen to have an OCR program of some kind installed? Sounds like you do and those were the first time(s) you used it. Also quite a few programs create folders in My Documents, games being on of the main ones for doing this (usually where you will find your game save files and the files that pertain to the games settings).

MS - MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010 - 2012

#3 photocatcher

photocatcher

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for your response stormy13. I do not use any Messenger of any type because I donít like them for many reasons. The thing about My Received files is that it was just created just about one month ago and I have had this PC since August 4th 2004. How would I find out if I had an OCR program installed? I havenít downloaded any new programs on this PC that I can remember for the last few months. I have received updates from the usual suspects such as Windows Defender, Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware SE. Could I have gotten those files from a website that I went to? I am an artist and I moderate an art group so I go to many art websites. Also I am not a gamer because I use sadly to say dial-up. If DSL ever get to my town that would be great. Thanks again for your response. I do appreciate it.

#4 Technodruid

Technodruid

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:44 PM

OCR might have been installed with Printer packages. Specially if you have a combo set up (printer/scanner)

#5 photocatcher

photocatcher

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:09 PM

Technodruid I think you nailed it. Last month I did scan a few of my photographs. I donít use the scanner all that much for my photos since I have a digital camera. Thanks for your information. Now I am not so paranoid that a Trojan horse or a virus or someone was cracking into my PC. Thanks again for your insight to my little problem.

OCR might have been installed with Printer packages. Specially if you have a combo set up (printer/scanner)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users