How do I turn avast back on?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ilikenemo

ilikenemo

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:43 AM

Hi, can someone please tell me how I can get avast back on? I have the little ball in my task bar but hen I switched my comp on it said my anti virus is turned off. I've had a look but I can't find how to get it back on. :pullhair: Thanks Just done a scan and it said theres a virus win32:ngvck-e can anyone help? I have moved it to the chest.

Edited by ilikenemo, 21 June 2006 - 07:31 AM.

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Madam Admin <aka> Maude

• Admins
  • 27,692 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:15 PM

Panda Antivirus files that avast! detects as infected (false/positive detection):

"Win32:NGVCK-E" has been found in "C:\Program Files\PCPitstop\AV\PAV.SIG" file

""Win32:NGVCK-E" has been found in "C:WINDOWS\system32\ActiveScan\pav.sig" file

I don't have Avast, but you could look through their forums to see how to turn it back on
http://forum.avast.com/

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2006 thru 2014

#3 essexboy

essexboy

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 789 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:03 PM

Do you have the following services running Ashserv.exe, aswupdsv.exe, ashdisp.exe, ashwebsv.exe ashmaisv.exe if so Avast is working. Does the Avast icon have a red bar through it, if not it is working. Is it the windows security centre that says Avast is not working ? See this thread at Avast it may or may not help FORUM

Avast detects the Panda files because they are not encrypted

Edited by essexboy, 21 June 2006 - 04:04 PM.

#4 ilikenemo

ilikenemo

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:10 AM

Do you have the following services running Ashserv.exe, aswupdsv.exe, ashdisp.exe, ashwebsv.exe ashmaisv.exe if so Avast is working. Does the Avast icon have a red bar through it, if not it is working. Is it the windows security centre that says Avast is not working ? See this thread at Avast it may or may not help FORUM

Avast detects the Panda files because they are not encrypted

Thanks, yes its the windows security centre that says its not working, I have a red shield with a white cross on it on my task bar, my avast icon doesn't have a red line through it but its not spinning like it used to, it stays still most of the time. How do I find out if those services above are running? sorry I'm not too technical :blushing: I'm running win xp.
Thanks again

#5 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,014 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:20 AM

Ctrl/Alt/Del to bring up Task Manager, click on the Processes tab. Those are the processes that are running on your system right now. -kd5-
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

#6 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,014 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:24 AM

If all else fails, uninstall then reinstall Avast (download and have this file ready to reinstall):

http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

Check at the Avast forum to see if there are any quick fixes before you do that though. Exhaust your resources, then before you pull all your hair out, try uninstalling/reinstalling:

http://forum.avast.com/ -kd5-
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

#7 essexboy

essexboy

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 789 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:18 AM

Left ckick the Avast Ion and you will see a control panel. Check that your required providers are running. If not start them and tick the persist box when it appears Posted Image

#8 ilikenemo

ilikenemo

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:25 PM

Do you have the following services running Ashserv.exe, aswupdsv.exe, ashdisp.exe, ashwebsv.exe ashmaisv.exe

Just checked and these are running, but the windows security centre still says its turned off :pullhair: left clicked the icon and I have 2 of everything (instant messaging, internet mail, network shield, outlook/exchange, psp shield, standard shield and web shield) 1 lot is coloured the other lot is grey :thud: if I run the mouse over the avast icon on my task bar it says "avast on access scanner 14 provider(s) total 4 running"
Thanks

#9 essexboy

essexboy

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 789 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:23 AM

Ok it is time to uninstall avast and then reinstall, somehow you appear to have 2 running at once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users