Computer Will Only Boot in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 JulieAnna

JulieAnna

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:43 PM

When I turned my computer on this morning, it would only boot in safe mode. Before the boot screen came up, offering choices for boot mode, there was a blue screen that flashed for a split-second, it was impossible to read. If I choose "boot normally" it goes through everything again, and the boot screen comes up again. The only options that will work are safe mode or safe mode with networking. I am running Windows XP Home SP2. I tried doing a restore to one week ago, but this didn't help. :(

#2 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,261 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:53 PM

Get into safe mode, double click My Computer>right click C:\>Properties>Tools>Error Checking>Check Now Put a checkmark in both boxes, click 'start' >OK then reboot. Let it run through chkdsk and let us know what happens. You may also want to right click My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup & Recovery>Settings>System Failure and take the checkmark out of 'automatically restart' which should give you the BSOD and allow you to read the error message.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#3 JulieAnna

JulieAnna

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

Thank you for your help. Ok I ran CHKDSK, and still had to reboot in 'Safe Mode with Networking.' I did as you advised in order to read the error message, and it reads as follows: A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL If this is the first time you're seeing this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check to make sure any hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you may need. If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, then select Safe Mode. TECHNICAL INFO ***STOP: 0X0000000A (0X000000B0, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X8050E33D) I have not installed any new hardware of software. The computer booted fine yesterday, and this problem just started this morning. I'm a computer novice, and I don't know what that last part means -- "disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing."

#4 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:52 PM

JulieAnna :wp:

Instead of selecting "Boot normally", have you tried "Last known good configuration"?

As for the cause this is what MS has to say about that particular error,

http://support.micro...b/314063/EN-US/?

The part that is applicable to you is about half way down the page under "A Stop 0x0A error after Windows XP is already installed".

MS - MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010 - 2012

#5 JulieAnna

JulieAnna

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:56 PM

Yes, I have tried choosing that option. It just goes through the whole thing and takes me back to the screen to select from, and the only ones that work are Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking. :( Thanks for the link, will check it out now.

#6 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:04 PM

Seeing as you can get on line with it, take a run through here,

http://www.pcpitstop.com/default.asp

and run a pit test and then post the reulsts back here,

http://www.pcpitstop...ress/howto1.asp

Hopefully being in safe mode won't affect the test.

#7 JulieAnna

JulieAnna

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:14 PM

I did run a pitstop scan before I even posted. I can't figure out how to get to the results now. The site you linked to suggests restarting from the Windows XP Startup CD, which I don't even have, and even if I did, our CDRom doesn't work -- I put a CD in, but nothing happens.

#8 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:18 PM

Bottom two screen shots here,

http://www.pcpitstop...ress/howto1.asp

show how to post a link to your results.

#9 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,261 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

Did you create an account or run the test anonymously? If you created an account, then click on the logo in the upper left, then click on 'full tests' and 'view previous results'.

Here's how to share your results: http://pcpitstop.com...ress/howto1.asp (Edit: beat me to it stormy ;) )

Stop errors are frequently memory or driver problems.

If you can get to the internet in Safe Mode w/Networking, can you go here ( http://www.memtest86.com/ )and download Memtest86, unzip it to a floppy, reboot the computer and check for memory errors?

Another thing to try is to look in the Device Manager for any yellow exclamation marks or red X's.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#10 JulieAnna

JulieAnna

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for all your help. I'm sorry, I'm just getting a little frustrated, here. After the last time I rebooted, then my MSN Explorer browser wouldn't even sign in, it says it 'couldn't retrieve' my settings, I don't know what's going on there. :( Ok, here is the link to my test results:

http://www.pcpitstop...8MA0W4JBHJSVAUR

#11 JulieAnna

JulieAnna

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:33 PM

Yes, I've gone to the Device Manger, there are no problems there. It even says our CDRom is working properly.

#12 JulieAnna

JulieAnna

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:38 PM

Oh wonderful, new problem now. I tried to save the Memtest86 download to a floppy, I have a disk in there, of course, but now it says "Drive A is not accessible."

#13 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,261 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:42 PM

Nothing really jumps out from your Pit test, but you do have a 4% CPU load that indicates something's running and some unsavory browser code that's been added at some point. You may want to open the Task Manager and stop the messenger program before testing again to see if you can get rid of that load, or better yet, just to be on the safe side, run an online scan from both Ewido and F-Secure:

http://www.ewido.net/en/

http://support.f-sec.../home/ols.shtml

Will you be able to run Memtest? Edit: just saw your post. Go for the scans for now.

#14 thehulk18

thehulk18

thehulk18

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:43 PM

Something apparently is making it stick in that boot mode. Try running MSCONFIG, on the boot.ini tab, and see is Safe Boot is selected. If it is, unselect it and reboot.
"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The United States Armed Forces don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan

"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile can respond with a great deal of pride, "I served in the United States Navy." - - John F. Kennedy

#15 aaronlewis89

aaronlewis89

Miggs78 is crackers!?!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

Do you have a virus?

#16 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,261 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:34 PM

If you can't get past the floppy problem to run memtest, you can open your case and remove one stick of memory ( your Pit test says you have 2 X 256) and try to boot up normally. If it boots, you have your problem child, if it doesn't boot, replace that stick of memory, remove the other one, and try to boot again. A little rudimentary, but good enough to see if the memory is causing the BSOD's.

#17 JulieAnna

JulieAnna

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:36 PM

I'm scanning now from the F-secure site to see if I have a virus.

Something apparently is making it stick in that boot mode. Try running MSCONFIG, on the boot.ini tab, and see is Safe Boot is selected. If it is, unselect it and reboot.

Hulk, could you please explain how to do this? As I've said before, I don't know much about computers, and I appreciate all the help I've gotten here. But telling me to 'try running MSCONFIG' and talk about a 'boot.ini.tab' is pretty foreign to me. If you could walk me through it, it would be very much appreciated.

#18 JulieAnna

JulieAnna

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

Ok, the F-Secure scan is finished, it says there are 14 infections, but it doesn't give an option to remove or clean. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do next, how do i get rid of them?

#19 thehulk18

thehulk18

thehulk18

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:35 PM

Click on Start/Run..type in msconfig/click on boot.ini tab...check the button.
"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The United States Armed Forces don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan

"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile can respond with a great deal of pride, "I served in the United States Navy." - - John F. Kennedy

#20 JulieAnna

JulieAnna

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:45 PM

Ok thanks. No, Safe Boot was not selected. :( Can somebody help me figure out what to do with these 14 infected files F-Secure has found? I feel like such an airhead, but other virus scans I've used have always provided a means to clean or delete -- this doesn't give any options, it just lists them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users