I Lose Internet When Streaming Video

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 drdray32

drdray32

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:49 PM

For some reason, whenever I would try to stream video, my internet connection would go out and to restore it, I would simply unplug the power from the wireless router and plug it back in. This happens when I try to stream videos in AOL's 'Video @ AOL' section and Comcast.net video section. Can someone please offer an advice on what's causing this inconvenience? My desktop PC connects directly to a Linksys Wireless-B version 4 router and my ISP is Comcast High Speed Internet. There are at least 2 other PCs that share my Internet connection at any one time and they connect wirelessly. I have the router security set up for 128 bit WEP. I play an online game called World of Warcraft and I don't experience any latency issues or disconnections while playing. (My latency is usually <150 ms) Also I've test my internet speed at sites like www.toast.net and www.pcpitstop.com and I constantly get 4Mbps or higher download speeds. My OS is Windows XP SP2 and I have a Pentium 4 1.8Ghz with 512 RDRAM. I've tried closing my anti-virus and firewall software as well as closing all the applications that run in the background when Windows first start up (using msconfig command) and it didn't fix the problem. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

#2 djamnicki

djamnicki

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

For some reason, whenever I would try to stream video, my internet connection would go out and to restore it, I would simply unplug the power from the wireless router and plug it back in. This happens when I try to stream videos in AOL's 'Video @ AOL' section and Comcast.net video section. Can someone please offer an advice on what's causing this inconvenience?

My desktop PC connects directly to a Linksys Wireless-B version 4 router and my ISP is Comcast High Speed Internet. There are at least 2 other PCs that share my Internet connection at any one time and they connect wirelessly. I have the router security set up for 128 bit WEP. I play an online game called World of Warcraft and I don't experience any latency issues or disconnections while playing. (My latency is usually <150 ms) Also I've test my internet speed at sites like www.toast.net and www.pcpitstop.com and I constantly get 4Mbps or higher download speeds. My OS is Windows XP SP2 and I have a Pentium 4 1.8Ghz with 512 RDRAM. I've tried closing my anti-virus and firewall software as well as closing all the applications that run in the background when Windows first start up (using msconfig command) and it didn't fix the problem.

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

#3 _TyIzaeL_

_TyIzaeL_

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:12 AM

Your best option would be to contact your ISP

#4 DanL

DanL

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:57 AM

I have this same exact issue!!!! Has anyone figured out why?

#5 drdray32

drdray32

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:32 PM

I have this same exact issue!!!!

Has anyone figured out why?

LOL I thought I was the only person in the world that has this issue! What is your ISP? Do you have the same configuration as I do? What kind of router do you have? I would like to have this issue resolved.

#6 heywire

heywire

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:03 AM

I too have the same exact problem. A google search brought me here. I am also using a Linksys Wireless B router (BEFW11S4 ver. 4) with firmware 1.52.02. Whenever I access streaming video from my mac or my pc, the entire network loses internet connectivity. At that point I cannot even log into my router. Simply power cycling the router takes care of it, but I still cannot get the streaming video.

#7 DanL

DanL

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:28 AM

I too have the same exact problem. A google search brought me here. I am also using a Linksys Wireless B router (BEFW11S4 ver. 4) with firmware 1.52.02. Whenever I access streaming video from my mac or my pc, the entire network loses internet connectivity. At that point I cannot even log into my router. Simply power cycling the router takes care of it, but I still cannot get the streaming video.

I have the same configuration as heywire does... Linksys Wireless B router (BEFW11S4 ver 4) with firmware 1.52.02...

It's weird... if I stream a certain radio station (www.weei.com), I have no problems... I can get the audio fine, and when I close it all is good (I still have internet connection)...

But... if I try to listen to Gameday Audio on MLB.com, I experience problems... I can listen to the audio fine, but when I close it I lost internet connectivity until I power cycle my router...

Oh yea, my ISP is Charter Communications...

Any ideas anyone?

#8 raulman1

raulman1

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:40 PM

SOLUTION for Linksys BEFW11S4 ver 4 users with Firmware 1.52.02 I had the same problems with this Linksys router. I initiated a chat with Linksys Tech Support on this issue. The technician immediately identified the solution to this problem -- it requires reverting to the previous Firmware, ver. 1.50.14 I applied this Firmware version, and I can now stream video and audio, start and stop either, without losing connection to the router by all PCs on the local network. The Linksys website currently provides only the most current firmware version for download (1.52.02), so you'll need to contact Linksys tech support for them to direct you to the FTP server where the 1.50.14 Firmware for this Wireless Router is located. On the downloads page for the BEFW11S4 ver 4, there is a link to Firmware history (or something like that.) If you upgraded your router's firmware to fix a specific issue, you may want to read what you'll be giving up by going back to the previous firmware version, and decide which issue is more critical for you. Remember when changing router firmware, you MUST be connected to the router via wired Ethernet, not wirelessly. Regards, Raulman1

#9 chekhovs

chekhovs

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:14 AM

[Workaround] If I use a VPN connection, I have no problem playing video.

SOLUTION for Linksys BEFW11S4 ver 4 users with Firmware 1.52.02

I had the same problems with this Linksys router.

I initiated a chat with Linksys Tech Support on this issue. The technician immediately identified the solution to this problem -- it requires reverting to the previous Firmware, ver. 1.50.14

I applied this Firmware version, and I can now stream video and audio, start and stop either, without losing connection to the router by all PCs on the local network.

The Linksys website currently provides only the most current firmware version for download (1.52.02), so you'll need to contact Linksys tech support for them to direct you to the FTP server where the 1.50.14 Firmware for this Wireless Router is located.

On the downloads page for the BEFW11S4 ver 4, there is a link to Firmware history (or something like that.) If you upgraded your router's firmware to fix a specific issue, you may want to read what you'll be giving up by going back to the previous firmware version, and decide which issue is more critical for you.

Remember when changing router firmware, you MUST be connected to the router via wired Ethernet, not wirelessly.

Regards,

Raulman1

Edited by chekhovs, 19 July 2006 - 09:15 AM.

#10 Troubled Youth

Troubled Youth

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:58 AM

It's weird... if I stream a certain radio station (www.weei.com), I have no problems... I can get the audio fine, and when I close it all is good (I still have internet connection)...

I also have no problems and somebody told me that the internet band can be “overwhelmed” and needs to be reset. I do not pay to much credit to this since the video works together with the audio. :clap:

#11 alphalamb

alphalamb

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:00 AM

I also have no problems and somebody told me that the internet band can be “overwhelmed” and needs to be reset. I do not pay to much credit to this since the video works together with the audio. :clap:

I had been suffering from the same problem with my router and I have just accidentally come across a simple fix (or work-around?). It seems to work for me so far. Worth trying and let me know if it works for you.

Read:
http://www.amazon.co...Tx1NQUWMJA721GD

Alan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users