video card driver won't load

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rar2

rar2

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:22 PM

After a serious crash, I had to reinstall window xp. When I tried to install the driver for my ATI Radeon video card, it failed and left a message saying that I should first install a standard vga driver. When I go to control panel, display, advanced, monitor it shows "default monitor" and does not give the option of reloading a driver. How can I clear the default monitor and install the correct driver? Any help gratefully appreciated.

#2 JackeL

JackeL

Insane Membrane

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,880 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:41 PM

if it is asking for a standard vga driver....then you should be looking at the display adapters in device manager, not the monitor!

go to device manager and double click on display adapter and right click on whatever adapter is listed (probably has a yellow exclamation point over it). choose update driver from the dropdown menu. choose "install from a list or specific location". put a tick next to "don't search, i will choose the driver to install". that should bring up a list of avaliable drivers....look for standard vga driver in the list and install.

after that is complete, restart the computer and try to install the ati drivers.

hope that helps.

"Thereís a darkness upon me thatís flooded in light.....And Iím frightened by those that donít see it."

#3 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:45 PM

rar :wp: As well as video drivers, you will also need to install the motherboard drivers. If this is an off-the-shelf pc (Dell, HP, etc.) the drivers should be on a recovery/driver disk. If it is a custom built pc, there should be a driver disk (or you can download the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website). Also it is better to install the motherboard drivers first before installing the video drivers.

MS - MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010 - 2012

#4 mouse

mouse

Advanced Member

• The SWAT Team
  • 9,331 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:22 AM

After you install the operating system you need to reboot and the operating system should find new hardware video and install standard VGA drivers. Only after the standard (default) VGA drivers are installed you can install the drivers for any video card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users