someone else logged onto my computer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 anoldlady

anoldlady

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 03:08 PM

Hello, Can anyone tell me if it is possbile for someone else to be looged onto my computer??? I got a ne HP scanner/printer at Christmas and when it installed it changed the way my computer starts up. It used to go directly to my desktop before. But now it shows me a blue screen and I have to click on "Owner" to go to my desktop. I have no idea how this changed. But I noticed something else today, that when I went to shut down my computer, I got a message that said something to the effect that "there are other people logged on to this computer and they might lose data by shutting down". Those aren't the exact words, but basically is what it said. How can other people be looged into my computer??? Does this mean my computer has been hacked and someone is taking my information?? I use Windows XP I appreciiate any help!!! anoldlady

#2 all4sma

all4sma

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:29 PM

Ordinarily when I see that message it means just that -- A different account is still logged on. For example, if user1 is logged on, then user2 gets on the computer and go to Log Off... Switch User, and logs onto their User2 account, they logged onto their account, while keeping user1's account still open. Or it could be the administrator, or possibly guest account that is still logged in. If there is a 'hacker' on your computer it's a possibility they may have installed a VNC server on your computer... Right click on your task bar on the bottom of the screen and choose Task Manager -- go to the processes tab and look for something called WinVNC.exe if you see anything like that then stop the process and note it on here so we can help you further. My guess is that the first thing I mentioned is your answer. On a side note, I would go into User Account, and choose to change the way a user logs on/off the computer and turn off fast user switching. Then go right click on My Computer > Choose: Properties > Choose the Remote tab > Uncheck the box that says "Allow remote assistance..." and "Allow users to connect..." To be honest, though I don't think there is much for you to worry about. Enjoy, and good luck. [all4sma]

#3 ddleejj

ddleejj

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:19 PM

Did you do any updates for Windows? I ask because I installed .net 1.1 from MS, which is usually part of a regular update, and upon reboot, I had the login screen. I had to go in and remove the user that it installed. I don't know why it creates another user, but it does. The user had a wierd name. Hope this helps.

#4 anoldlady

anoldlady

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for your replies. I haven't had this happen again, yet. I am the only user of my computer and it is my home computer so there is no one else who has access to it. I haven't updated windows for a while so it probably did not happen due to that. I went to the Remote tab and unchecked those boxes you suggested. I guess all I can do now is see if it happens again. Thanks again for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users