Norton firewall blocking email

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:12 PM

I have a problem with my Norton firewall blocking emails. I have Norton Internet Security 2005 and can't get emails through Outlook Express unless I turn off the firewall. I have the internet access for Outlook set as permit all on the programs tab. On the networking tab, if I try to add POP3 and SMTP to the trusted sites, Norton freezes up. I don't even know if adding those to the trusted sites will solve the email problem, just something I was trying. This email problem started up this week, seems to act up every couple of months and disappear after a few days.

Also, there is another problem that started this week, but it started after the email problem. When I click on Norton liveupdate, I get a warning saying that LU1840 automatic liveupdate is running in the background. It said that for the last 3 days. Email problem has been going on for 5 days.

Thank you for any help!

#2 humpd

humpd

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:45 PM

I have a problem with my Norton firewall blocking emails. I have Norton Internet Security 2005 and can't get emails through Outlook Express unless I turn off the firewall. I have the internet access for Outlook set as permit all on the programs tab. On the networking tab, if I try to add POP3 and SMTP to the trusted sites, Norton freezes up. I don't even know if adding those to the trusted sites will solve the email problem, just something I was trying. This email problem started up this week, seems to act up every couple of months and disappear after a few days.

Also, there is another problem that started this week, but it started after the email problem. When I click on Norton liveupdate, I get a warning saying that LU1840 automatic liveupdate is running in the background. It said that for the last 3 days. Email problem has been going on for 5 days.

Thank you for any help!

First, make sure your email account seetings for pop and smtp are correct. Sometimes antiviurs programs make changes in them. Second, turn off the firewall in Windows XP if you are using it and see what happens.

#3 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,146 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:29 PM

:sparkle: Restore the default firewall rules and scan for Internet-enabled programs
There is a "do it for me" button on this link
Cannot send or receive email with regular email, such as Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express after installing Norton Internet Security

As for the LiveUpDate issue....run the automated support assistant....
Let Symantec Solve Your Technical Problem
From here if errors are found links will be supplied. :sparkle:

Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2014

#4 tito

tito

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:25 AM

Its probably your firewall blocking some task relatted to norton. I had the problem if my firewall wa blocking "application layer gateway service" or "lexpps.exe" or "symantec user session". ALthough two of thee services arent, to my knowledge, norton related. Or you could try turning off email scanning.

#5 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:28 PM

:sparkle: Restore the default firewall rules and scan for Internet-enabled programs
There is a "do it for me" button on this link
Cannot send or receive email with regular email, such as Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express after installing Norton Internet Security

As for the LiveUpDate issue....run the automated support assistant....
Let Symantec Solve Your Technical Problem
From here if errors are found links will be supplied. :sparkle:

I have the LiveUpdate issue solved. I started the computer up without connecting to the internet first, so that LiveUpdate wouldn't start up right away. I was just trying this to see what would happen and it worked. Not running in the background anymore. I also ran the automated assistant with the link you provided afterwards. All updates are current.

The other link you provided is one I had looked at the other day to try to fix email problem. The problem I'm having with the program scan is that it stops when only partially finished, it gets hung up on this: 1386\MSIEXEC.EXE. Not sure why this happens, do you know what to do about that one?

Now I see where you got the sparkles from :sparkle:

Thank you for any help before I do this: :crash:
and when I'm done I may need this: :beer:
and I look like this: :pullhair:

Edited by artgirl, 07 January 2006 - 01:38 PM.

#6 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:36 PM

First, make sure your email account seetings for pop and smtp are correct. Sometimes antiviurs programs make changes in them. Second, turn off the firewall in Windows XP if you are using it and see what happens.

pop and smtp are correct. Windows firewall is off, so that's not the problem.

#7 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:33 PM

I had the problem if my firewall wa blocking "application layer gateway service" or "lexpps.exe" or "symantec user session".

Not sure what these are or what I need to do change any of these. Can you explain?

#8 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,146 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

:sparkle: Have found a few things but not sure if they apply.
MSIEXEC.EXE is Windows Installer.
A link I checked was this...Frequently Asked Questions About Windows Installer
You may have a Outlook registry key that is corrupted:
perform a Detect and Repair operation to have Outlook rebuild the key
You can try to set OutLook in NIS 2005 as your default mail client with this Symantec link
Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client."
Do you have the latest version of IE?
system updates for Internet Explorer :sparkle:

Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

#9 RayG

RayG

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:21 PM

Ain't NIS 2005 a peach? I bought my kids a new computer for Christmas this year and have already yanked NIS in favor of free, non-intrusive, non-destructive, alternatives. (AVG & ZoneAlarm) RayG

#10 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:38 PM

For some reason it all works today and I didn't change anything in Norton. My email is working, the program scan works and doesn't get hung up. So who knows what the problem was, had to be something with them. Thanks for all the help, now I can start growing my hair back that I ripped out :lol:

#11 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,146 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:54 PM

:sparkle: One thing I like to do is beat auto update to the punch.....
Once the computer has booted..... loaded,..and connected to the internet,, I quickly open the program and click on Update...
I want to see it run and complete for myself.....
Then when it's time for it's own instructions to run auto update.....IMO it runs smoother...
Remember to use the auto support assistant often to keep your software maintained and running smoothly. :sparkle:

Edited by Juliet, 08 January 2006 - 08:55 PM.

#12 PaulN

PaulN

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:21 PM

I've read through this topic with great interest... :crash: I suffered the same problem after NIS updated my PC late last week. I managed to get Outlook 2003 to get my email (from Yahoo), but outgoing mail still is busted. The main symptom is Outlook no longer requests my outgoing password. All settings appear to be correct. Anti-Spam is disabled. Any hints? Thanks, Paul

#13 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,146 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:44 PM

:sparkle: possible solutions.....
Outgoing mail slows in Outlook or Outlook Express with Norton AntiSpam, Norton Internet Security, or Norton Personal Firewall
"Runtime Error Visual C++: \Outlook.exe

How to Troubleshoot E-mail Messages That Are Stuck in Your Outbox
To rules for Outlook Express
1.Open Norton Internet Security.
2.Double-click Personal Firewall.
3.On the Program Control tab, click Program Scan.
4.Select the drives to scan, and then click Next.
In most cases, you will want to select all of the listed drives. After clicking Next, the Program Scan feature searches your hard drives for all Internet-enabled programs.
5.After the Program Scan completes, examine the list of internet-enabled programs and verify that all of the Outlook Express entries are checked.
6.Click Finish to add the selected programs to the Program Control list.
7.Click OK to close the Personal Firewall configuration window
Next link scroll to: Section 4: Add incoming and outgoing mail server addresses to trusted sites in Norton Personal Firewall
Cannot send or receive email with Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express

#14 PaulN

PaulN

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:16 PM

Juliet, I should have added that Program Scan hangs on MSIEXEC.EXE and only the power button seems to have any positive effect. It's very frustrating! Paul

#15 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,146 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:10 AM

:sparkle: From what I can find it's an error in the Microsoft Windows Installer.
It is first suggested Delete Settings.LiveUpdate and create new ones.
And to change other program files....
It is suggested to download and install the latest version of MWS...And to also uninstall and reinstall your Nortons program.

MSIEXEC.EXE abnormal program termination."

#16 PaulN

PaulN

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:47 AM

Thaks, Juliet! I'll give it shot (probably tomorrow) and let you know how it went.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users