• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,016 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:48 AM

An old customer brought his computer to me, symptoms: CDROM tray keeps popping out on it's own. Put a CD in it, tray randomly opens. I've run a myriad of scans, most of which froze. My purpose in posting this in the User To User section is a question: Is there anything mechanical that could cause this behavior? Now, the scans I've been able to run found things I've since removed: Avast! found 2 trojans, other scans have found iWon, Gain/Claria remnants, a CWS variant, all of which I've removed. I don't doubt there something in this computer I've been unable as yet to find. But to eliminate the possibility, is there anything mechanical that could cause the CDROM tray to randomly eject like that? Sometimes it doesn't happen for quite awhile, sometimes it pops out within a minute. It's very frustrating. I've suggested a reformat & reinstall, but before I do that I wanted to rule out the possibility this could be caused by a malfunctioning CDROM drive. Operating system is 98se, I've gotten numerous errors while attempting to run online scans, even a couple of General Protection Faults... :( I think a reformat is inevitable, but I wanted to ask about the CDROM before I do anything. Thanks, -kd5-
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

#2 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,081 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:59 AM

KD...so far I found this for 98se....and I can remember a short time ago there was a virus that did make the cd tray open....I'll continue to look for that....scroll mid way on the page on the link for the 98se specifics...
Causes of General Protection Faults and Troubleshooting Tips

Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.
Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings..
MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2013

#3 PORTHOS

PORTHOS

Format and be done with it already

• Advanced Member
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:59 AM

Do you have another CD rom to use to rule out the hardware issues? Thats what I would try first. :)

#4 jackieblue

jackieblue

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 420 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:02 AM

Could be a faulty drive. Is the button real sensitive? Make sure the faceplate isn't touching it. You might try reinstalling the drivers for it.

#5 8210GUY

8210GUY

I think I say it best when I say I know nothing at all.

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:04 AM

I wouldn't like to say if the drive could do it via a mechanical fault or not but I have seen quite a few identical problems over the years and every time it turned out to be a mate messing with them, by sneaking a file onto their PC to allow them to open the drive at will, my guess is your aware of this possibility already but thought it worth the mention just incase, but every time I heard of this scanning and cleaning sorted it, have you tried all the obvious online options such as Panda, Trend and Rav ? one may find what others don't, not forgetting stinger as well, not a lot I'm afraid but hope it sparks an idea if nothing else.

#6 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,016 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:16 AM

Housecall froze partway through the scan, numerous times. Panda couldn't complete downloading the updates, RAV found nothing. I've tried numerous scans, most of which froze. Of the few that didn't freeze, 2 found items I removed, the others found nothing.

This is an old couple, but they have grandkids. I uninstalled their Aquatica Waterworlds screensaver, thought that might be causing it (placed an entry in their Startup associated with Gain/Claria which I removed first, but to no avail) but it still happens.

I'm leaning towards a script that got on their computer somehow, but wanted to rule out the mechanical aspect first.

I have an old CDROM drive that still works (kinda) I could try in there if need be. What's weird is, I've been sitting here in front of my computer for the last 20 minutes, and the CDROM tray on their computer hasn't opened yet... :huh: -kd5-
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

#7 porksandwich9113

porksandwich9113

^Cheap Man's Labtop^

• Advanced Member
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:19 AM

you could probably take their cd drive out, and test it in one of your computers? that will probably determine if its mechanical, or simply their computer.

Edited by porksandwich9113, 24 September 2005 - 11:20 AM.

i7 920 @ 4.25Ghz | Prolimatech Megahalem | EVGA E757 LE | 6 GB Tridents ATI 5850 @ 800/1100 | Asus Xonar DX | 2 X 60GB Agility 2 in Raid0 | 1000 Watt Enermax PSU | 2 22" Monitors | Razer Peripherals | Logitech X-540 | 4X2TB Raid5 TV Shows Archive

#8 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,081 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:25 AM

Found this article from someone who's tray was randomly opening and closing....Trendmicro had found a worm
CD Tray

Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.
Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings..

#9 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,081 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:28 AM

JS/NoClose

#10 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,081 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:32 AM

Other information I've found isnt useful.....yet...but I'm still searching

OK.....now several sites have it listed
JS/NoClose

Edited by Juliet, 24 September 2005 - 11:36 AM.

#11 mariol90

mariol90

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:04 PM

Turn the computer off and unplug the IDE cable from the CD drive, then turn it back on. Put a CD in, if it doesn't pop it out at all then there is either a problem in windows, with the IDE cable/connector, or the motherboard. When you plug the IDE cable back in, turn on the computer and go into the bios. Put a CD in, if the CD stays in then it is most likely a windows problem. Use another CD drive to test the problem in windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users