how to get a dell out of safe mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jean

jean

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:39 PM

dell 2400 xp will only sart in safe mode cannot use restore for xp do not have recovery disk. help!!! thanks in advance jean

#2 flyfishingrules2

flyfishingrules2

The great fish eat the small. A. Barclay 1509

• Advanced Member
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:11 PM

jean, Try tapping F8 key right after Dell splash screen but before Windows starts to load--you should be presented with a default menu screen. Try "Last Know Good Configuration" first. If that doesn't work, try Safe Mode from there, and then it should give a screen that says System Restore. Hopefully you will have some dates stored to pick. Keep going back until you get one to work (programs and changes made recently will be gone--not data though). If those don't work, try resetting BIOS to defaults by opening the case and removing (remember to touch the side of the case first to ground yourself) the little silver coin-sized battery for several minutes. Replace and reboot. Keep us posted on your progress, and we will try to assist you or think of new ideas :) Check your disks carefully as Dell is very good about supplying the necessary disks. My sis-in-law has a 2400 and all disks, including OS and drivers, are there.

Edited by flyfishingrules2, 19 September 2005 - 06:14 PM.

"...to fish fine and far off is the first and principal rule for trout angling." ~Charles Cotton (around 1674)

#3 jean

jean

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:21 PM

thanks, will do

#4 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,146 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:28 PM

Check your disks carefully as Dell is very good about supplying the necessary disks. My sis-in-law has a 2400 and all disks, including OS and drivers, are there.

Fly...can you give me some links to check into that....I have a neighbor who has a 2400 and needs those disks.
Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2014

#5 flyfishingrules2

flyfishingrules2

• Advanced Member
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:38 PM

Juliet, Not sure what you mean :shrug: I'm referring to when you buy a Dell, they give you all the disks necessary as I stated with my sis-in-law. I bought my daughter a Dell lappy for college, and again, all disks (OS, programs, drivers, etc.) were with it. I do not know Dell's policy for supplying another set if you bought your computer second hand, broke, scratched, or lost your originals. The only thing I could link you to is dell.com. I'm guessing they are not very sympathic, but you never know.

"...to fish fine and far off is the first and principal rule for trout angling." ~Charles Cotton (around 1674)

#6 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,146 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:44 PM

A couple of disk came with it but not a windows xp cd....
I'll try to check again

Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2014

#7 flyfishingrules2

flyfishingrules2

• Advanced Member
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:25 PM

Hey, jean, Jump in here any time if you need to. :lol:

#8 jean

jean

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:32 PM

didn't work have all the disks went through the drill still came up safe mode?

#9 jackieblue

jackieblue

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:38 PM

In safe mode, go to start, type msconfig in the run box and press enter, go to the boot.ini tab, make sure there isn't a check next to /SAFEBOOT, click apply and ok and reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users